Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial eagle on wooden shield

Greetings all,

I have had this item for many years (Local vet aquired) It is an imperial eagle decal on a thin wooden board the back of the board is painted typical feld grau in colour. The silver in the decal is very simalar to TR period helmet decals. It adorns my study door at present.

Does any one have any information on such items? I have not seen one before, but have seen WW1 era photographs of Army staff cars with what appear to be a simalar (or the same decal appiled)

Any thoughts or observations appreciated (note the ruler is in cm's not inches).
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

--------------
      Attached Files

Comment

///
        Attached Files

Comment

Last image.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi, NZEF1940,

Very, very nice shield!!!

Just a small point, while the shield is from the era of the German Empire, that is not an imperial shield, it's from the Kingdom of Prussia. The imperial eagle looked a little bit different, though very similar.

Comment

Hi Mike

Interesting, as the shield eagle is the same as the German Imperial battle flag eagle. So the Prussian style eagle was adopted for the national battle flag?

Originally posted by Mike Dwyer View Post
              Hi, NZEF1940,

Very, very nice shield!!!

Just a small point, while the shield is from the era of the German Empire, that is not an imperial shield, it's from the Kingdom of Prussia. The imperial eagle looked a little bit different, though very similar.

Comment

That displays very nicely.
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Nice Shield but I could think of some better "center-folds" than that for ones study door.

Good question about the "Prussian eagle ?" on the battle flag. Why ???

Just shows what a blood thirsty lot those Prussians really were. Ask any Saxon or Bavarian during the Christmas of 1914. Must have been the Teutonic influence,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by nzef1940 View Post
                    Hi Mike

Interesting, as the shield eagle is the same as the German Imperial battle flag eagle. So the Prussian style eagle was adopted for the national battle flag?
                    Yes, you are correct, that is the Prussian eagle on the Kaiserliche Kriegsflagge. I have no idea why they used a Prussian eagle instead of the Imperial one, unless it was just because the Kaiser was also King of Prussia.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X