ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Otto Weddigen win the Oakleaves to his PLM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plm

Originally posted by DZR View Post
    I cant find anything to say that Dohna-Schlodien received the Oaks either, but when the retouchers went to work giving him the PLM, they seem to think that Oaks would look good too.
    Hello,
    That is a great postcard too. I guess we are seeing a common thread here-Oaks look better on a PLM.

Regards,
    Jody

Comment

Nikolaus Burggraf und Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien - Oak Leaves?

Dohna-Schlodien definitely did not win the oaks.

If they don't appear in Die Ritter des Ordens Pour le Merite, they didn't get it...

Curious how many authors got a postcard like these and assumed the postcard was right.

Comment

In all, that's all as in back to the beginning, 1740:

147 Krone zum Orden Pour le merite.

261 Eichenlaubes des Ordens Pour le merite (von Etzel #254 of 261) Arthur v. Lendequist, the last recipient. (First Oaks in 1813)

5414 Ordens Pour le merite. Paul Behncke being the last wartime. Gustav Doerr receiving 17.01.1919 as nachtraeglich and the last at 5415.

Comment

11 PlMs awarded 1900-1905, Japan, China, Southwest Africa campaigns.

And my personal favorite PlM...

27.01.1903 Das Kanonenboot "Iltis" awarded the PlM.

Comment

Otto Weddigen

Hi Brian,
            This information has been very helpful. BTW, I have noticed that in atleast two cases oakleaves were added to PLMs. I was wondering if it could be the company that made the card fault? I also collect Sanke cards and although I see PLMs added I don't think I have seen one with Oaks added as well.

Regards,
            Jody

Comment

Clearly and simply artistic mistake. Maybe a plm w oaks model easily imposed but no plain plm. So to the cut and paster, no big deal.

Comment

Jody, just for interest's sake, Weddigen's nephew was my grandmother's lawyer, and I had the chance to talk with him about his uncle. Apparently he has a nice collection of relics from him.

Comment

Another rendering of Weddigen:

Regards,

Charles

Comment

I thought this postcard was great. yesterday I had a chance to pick up a very similar one and I managed to get it. The pose is similar but he is only wearing the EK2 and EK1, no PLM. I wil try and post an image tonight when I get home. Do the EK's look they have been added also? I think they have been. I think the artist may have used a model showing the oaks and added them without knowing they were extra or thier real signifigance. We shouldn't assume everyone, even people of the day knew the difference or meaning of various military awards.

Comment

Here's that postcard I was talking about. No PLM but the other 2 awards are there. Is the pose similar? This baby is on it's way to me now.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Weddigen

Originally posted by Steve Campell View Post
                        Here's that postcard I was talking about. No PLM but the other 2 awards are there. Is the pose similar? This baby is on it's way to me now.
                        Hi Steve,
                        Great postcard , but I think my pose is based on the wedding picture pose.

Regards,
                        Jody

Comment

Yes I went back after and had a look. This is more full body with sword also.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X