EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Otto Weddigen win the Oakleaves to his PLM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Otto Weddigen win the Oakleaves to his PLM?

Hello,
    I have this great period postcard of Otto Weddigen, and I notice he is wearing oakleaves to his PLM. From what I have read he was not awarded them. Can anyone explain this?

Thank you,
    Jody

Obverse of postcard:
    Attached Files

Otto Weddigen

Here is the reverse of the card if anyone is interested.
    Attached Files

Comment

No oaks listed in official sources.

Kommandant U 9.

Comment

Perhaps it was mistake by the artist.

Comment

Otto Weddigen

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
          Perhaps it was mistake by the artist.
          Hi Brian,
          I agree, but that I would think is a pretty major mistake. I just wonder if it was ever seen in any other photos?

Regards,
          Jody

Comment

Hi Jody,

Very interesting post card indeed. He & his crew of U-29 met a very tragic end in early 1915. The crew of the British battleship, "Dreadnought" had spotted the U-29s raised periscope and rammed the submarine cutting it in half, sinking quickly to the bottom of the North sea with no survivors. Earlier whlie on the same patrol U-29 had sunk six merchant ships.
            (from D.Edkins PLM)

E.

Comment

Hi Jody,

Neither Hamelman nor Brinkman credit Weddingen with the oaks; but, very interestingly, both books show virtually identical pictures, which in turn appear to be the same as yours - except that neither of theirs show any oaks.

Actually Jody, for some reason it was a common practice to superimpose PlM’s on photographs of legitimate recipients; especially during the late 1800’s. From what I see here, your photo looks perfectly legitimate; but might be worth a real close look. It just doesn’t figure.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Jody,

The neck and button-hole awards look ike they were painted on. Look at the dimensions. You can see uneven arms, etc. Great pic by the way. Steve

Comment

Otto Weddigen

Originally posted by regular122 View Post
                  Jody,

The neck and button-hole awards look ike they were painted on. Look at the dimensions. You can see uneven arms, etc. Great pic by the way. Steve
                  Hi Steve,
                  The whole picture appears to be painted.

Regards,
                  Jody

Comment

Jody,

I don't think I have seen an actual photo of Weddigen with the PlM. I think maybe he was awarded and died before it could be presented? Consequently, the later cards were 'retouched.' Below are the two that appear to be the basis for your PlM card. It looks to me like they took the 'real' wedding photo, cropped Mrs Weddgen out and added the awards based on the IronCross photo. Then the PlM was added as well but inaccurately. Just a guess. Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pic #2
                      Attached Files

Comment

Amazing! This might well be it although he does appear to be leaning forward a bit in the picture with his lady.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Otto Weddigen

Originally posted by regular122 View Post
                          Jody,

I don't think I have seen an actual photo of Weddigen with the PlM. I think maybe he was awarded and died before it could be presented? Consequently, the later cards were 'retouched.' Below are the two that appear to be the basis for your PlM card. It looks to me like they took the 'real' wedding photo, cropped Mrs Weddgen out and added the awards based on the IronCross photo. Then the PlM was added as well but inaccurately. Just a guess. Steve
                          Hi Steve and Wild Card,
                          I think you guys have something there and I believe you have provided an answer. This is a great forum. BTW, Steve what wonderful postcards of Otto Weddigen you have. It looks like they did use his wedding photo.

Steve if you ever decide to sell them, please let me know. I try to collect Weddigen items from WWI.

Once again guys thank you for answering a mystery that has had me puzzled for over 10 years.

Thank you,
                          Jody

Comment

Otto Weddigen

Further on the subject of retouched Otto Weddigen photos, here's the retouched version of Steve's card with the PLM and EK1 "awarded" by the photographic artists of NPG (Neue Photographische Gesellschaft).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nikolaus Burggraf und Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien - Oak Leaves?

I cant find anything to say that Dohna-Schlodien received the Oaks either, but when the retouchers went to work giving him the PLM, they seem to think that Oaks would look good too.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X