Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Medal Bar ID?

Hello All

A friend who mainly collects WWI British medals showed me a group of Imperial German medals he acquired together with a 1914 Star trio and other items to an "Old Contemptible".

I didn't have my digital camera with me, but the group was court mounted and appeared to be legit. It consisted of:

1) Officer's long service cross for 25 years.
    2) China Denkmunze.
    3) Kaiser Wilhelm I Centennial Medal 1897.
    4) Oldenburg House Order of Duke Peter Freidrich Ludwig with Crown.
    5) Wurttemberg Freidrich Order, 2nd Class without swords.

I was able to identify the medals, but couldn't tell him much else. Is this a rare combination? And is it possible to attempt an ID, or even narrow it down to a few possible recipients?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

All the best

Paul.

If that was the order they were mounted, it was likely a Frackspange. Were they mounted at an angle so as to be worn along the angle of a lapel?

Frackspangen are often considered Navy, because the Navy had more use for them since they had open-collared dress uniforms, but Frackspangen were also made for civilian suit wear by Army officers and former officers.

The combination and, if a Frackspange, the precedence, indicates a Württemberger. That many years of service but no Red Eagle 4th Class would seem to rule out a Prussian. Oldenburg's military was under Prussia, so an Oldenburger would have a Red Eagle as well. Württemberg was more autonomous, and the Friedrichs-Orden filled the role for Württemberg officers that the Red Eagle filled for Prussians.

I didn't see a Württemberg Army officer in the 1914 rank list with that combination so he either retired before 1914 or was in the Navy (which also tended to receive more Oldenburg awards). What color was the backing?

As for the Oldenburg House Order, the Knight's Cross 1st Class always had a crown, while the Knight's Cross 2nd Class came with and without crown. So you need to check whether the cross is silver or gold/silver-gilt.

With the right rank lists, I think it would be possible to ID the recipient. Württemberg and Oldenburg aren't a natural combination and, if navy, there weren't too many Württembergers in the navy.

Comment

Hi,

how good is Your friend??? Just to be careful, we have experience that ID´d bars like this appear soon after at eBay or wherever and reach ID´d a better price.

I have a possible ID and it will be a big surprise.
      Is the China medal in steel? Is the Würtemberg Frederick maybe a knight 1st class and no 2nd class?
      And a pic would be very helpful.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Hello Dave and Daniel

Many thanks for your replies. I haven't had a chance to see the group again, but I can say that it's mounted in the Army style -that is not at an angle- and that the backing cloth is the typical red type with brass pin. From my limited experience the group appeared correct in terms of material and workmanship.

I appreciate your concerns regarding the ID. I'll revisit the group and hopefully come back with a pic and confirmation regarding the class of awards.

All the best

Paul.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X