EK2 WS ? Opinions Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 WS ? Opinions Requested

Just recieved this EK2 today. The frame is good but the core has a little surface rust. No big deal. I bought it described as a WS marked example. When I look at the mark under a glass there is something else between the W and the S. Looking at the makers chart I use, I see there are a couple of other makers listed that this could be, such as WMS, W&S, Wu-S. Any ideas? It looks like a small u to me. Anyone have any experiences with this ? I'm keeping it either way.
    Attached Files

Here's the rear. You can see the surface rust. Is there any safe way to clean this up a bit or should I bother?
    Attached Files

Comment

I would guess that it is a variation of the W&S or Wu-S being for Wagner und Sohn. Well that's my humble opinion

Comment

Hi Steve,
        Personally I wouldn't bother to clean it up for fear of flaking off any loose paint. Its ninety odd years old and if thats all the rust thats managed to accumulate in that time I can't see the core rusting out for at least another ninety! I would just make sure it doesn't get any worse by regular inspection and keeping it in an enviroment which doesn't induce rust.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did a little research and checking and I'm pretty sure this is marked WuS. Overall it's nice, especially the frame. The back is a bit rusty but I think I'll leave it. It shouldn't get any worse in my display case. I believe WS had about 4 diffrent cores, that's why it differs fron the one I have that's over stamped with Z. Guess if I really want to take it further I could find all the diffrent maker marks of which there are about 3 or 4 and all the different cores.

Comment

Hello

That looks like a nice, period 1914 EK2.

As has been said, leave the rust unless it looks like it is really going to rot the piece through, and if it is then stabalise and stop it. Otherwise I'd leave it as it is.

Regards
            David

Comment

mm photo?

Hi Steve...any chance of a photo of the mm?

Thanks in advance if you can.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

I 'd love to but how do you get a good shot of something so small? My camera won't do it. I bought this as a WS but saw something in between the 2 letters with my loup and it looks like a small u. Any ideas how to get a shot?

Comment

Nope.

My camera won't get anything that small either. I have a couple mm I have been trying to decipher as well...hence my question. I have a jewellers loup on order. That should help. No worries.

I've been told that RenWax will seal a medal and prevent further rusting. I have never tried it, I tend to leave mine as found, but offer it up for info. Maybe others can comment on that approach.

Bye for now.

Stu

Comment

A loup is a must have. I use 2. I have one with two lenses a 10x and a 15x. I also have a glass that is larger and only 2x but it is a quality glass called Schwarski Glass (spelling?) that is good for an over all view of a medal. It's incredible how it makes a medal come to life. Some of there mm's are impossible to decipher even with a loup.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X