Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weddigen PLM?

Hi folks,
    I have a question. I have a postcard of U-9 commander Weddigen. The postcard is a painting, but why does it depict him with oakleaves to his PLM? I thought he only had the PLM.
    Jody
    Attached Files

Somebody made a big oops!

Of the 5 PLM oakleaves awarded to the Navy in WW1 none went below the rank of Admiral

Comment

In my files I do not have Weddigen down as an oaks recipient. How could this be so?

The oaks don’t appear to have been airbrushed into the picture.

Maybe he borrowed the PLM for the photo shoot?

Comment

PLM

Hi guys,
        Thanks, for your comments. I can't explain the oaks either. I have another picture of Weddigen and he is wearing the same thing-PLM with Oakleaves. I will have to find it.
        Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Jody; I am not familiar with these WW1 Sanke cards however is this one dated or numbered? Any way at all to determine when it was printed? E.g. the particular series run or the number of this card in a larger set.

Comment

Is the image a painting or photo?

Jody,
            I have the exact photo of Weddigen without any plm. This image was made most likely after his death with the plm added to an existing pose. But in this case, the artist also attributed the oak leaves to the plm. It is simply incorrect. As I look a the overall image it appears to be an illustration rather than an actual photo. Whatever we are looking at here, the plm has been added after the fact, and added incorrectly. I have never found an authentic photo of Weddingen wearing his plm. Love to see one.
            Stephen

Comment

PLM

Hi Stephen.
              Thanks for you comments. As I said in the first post, it appears the picture is painted. Not only does the PLM appear to painted on, but so does both EKs. I guess the artist took some liberties.
              Thanks,
              Jody

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X