Gallipoli Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallipoli Star

How rare is the Gallipoli star issued by the Turks. Does any one have a picture of the front and back? Are they rare and what is the value of one.

Here's the most recent thread about them: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...d.php?t=194291
    The basic stars jumped the $100 barrier a while back. "Minty", cased, rarer makers, special ones are prolly over 2 beans now.
    Thanks,
    Eric Gaumann

Comment

Originally posted by jlt1987 View Post
      How rare is the Gallipoli star issued by the Turks. Does any one have a picture of the front and back? Are they rare and what is the value of one.
      Wow, you really want to get on my nerves, don't you?

As rare as rare can be, since there is no such thing as "the Gallipoli star issued by the Turks". The Turks (actually the Ottomans) issued something called the War Medal (Harp Madalyası), their equivalent, roughly, of an Iron Cross First Class. The Germans called it the Iron Crescent (Eiserner Halbmond).

There are a number of good threads on these. They aren't rare, but they aren't super-common. You don't need to settle on the first one you see, but can shop around for a good one without enamel damageor broken pins, for example.

Comment

As far as i know the war medal was the entry level for ottoman decorations in WW1. So its german equivalent is the Iron Cross 2nd Class, the silver lyakat with swords medal should be the equivalent of an Iron Cross 1st Class

regards

Haynau

Comment

Who made the painted version?

Comment

The Turks issued the painted version. The enamel ones are usually German or Austrian made replacements.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by haynau View Post
              As far as i know the war medal was the entry level for ottoman decorations in WW1. So its german equivalent is the Iron Cross 2nd Class, the silver lyakat with swords medal should be the equivalent of an Iron Cross 1st Class

regards

Haynau
              The entry-level decoration for the Ottomans was a pat on the back and a "go with God". My impression is that the deeds generally required for a Turk (or other Ottoman subject) to earn the War Medal were the major or repeated acts of bravery closer to an EK1 than to an EK2. The focus is less on the technical "was it the first award given?" than on the "what sort of acts was it given for?". Obviously, this can be somewhat elastic. As a war progresses, award criteria change. Some decorations become "easier" to earn, some harder.

Another example: the Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen mit Bandschnalle und Schwertern would be the EK2 equivalent for a Weimar enlisted man. If he got a second award from his Grand Duke, it might be the Wilhelm-Ernst Kriegskreuz. So in a sense, that is the EK1 equivalent, but in so many other senses - rarity, prestige - the Wilhelm-Ernst Kriegskreuz is hard to compare to an EK1.

Comment

How rare are the Turkish issued ones compared to the German issue

Comment

From what I've seen over the years the Turkish War medal is not rare at all. I'm sure one can be found most any day of the week for sale. What is not comonly seen is the type with the vertical pin.

I have had many over the years and I don't care for the painted one at all. If you are a Turkish awards collector having a Turkish issue (painted type) is a must. I prefer the nicely made Austrian or German types as the enameling is usually very attractive.

PS-Saxe-Weimar Wilhelm-Ernst War Cross is my absolute favorite award of all times.

Comment

Here's a nice looking Austro-Hungarian Hauptman from a Bosnian Regiment wearing a Turkish War Medal and of coarse the ultimate Austrian award just awarded by Kaiser Karl.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Isn't it kinda unusual to see the award worn on the lower *right* breast area? I was under the impression that it was usually seen in EK1 territory (ie. left side) but I may be wrong (I often am).

Nice image, BTW. He certainly looks the part of a military man.

>the ultimate Austrian award
                      Which one's that?
                      Thanks,
                      Eric Gaumann

Comment

Originally posted by EricFG View Post
                        >the ultimate Austrian award
                        Which one's that?
                        http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/mmto.htm

Comment

Thanks Dave.
                          My, what a plain looking decoration....
                          Thanks,
                          Eric Gaumann

Comment

I'll agree that the knight's badge is relatively plain when compared to other Austrian Orders but I think it's attractive and I'd like to have one.

BTW, 90% or of the photos I've seen of men wearing the Turkish War Medal are wearing the badge on the right breast. I'm not sure why though.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X