Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ID Medalbar

Gents,
    Working on my Flak book and need some interesting things to say about this guy so can you tell me what he has?
    Thanks!
    Marc

Marc, the second bar below the WWI Hindenburg medal is very Austrian. So I would guess Austrian by the wore it for precedence. But then the next bar is very Prussian. Do you have a name?

Comment

No name - sorry. But if I can at least list in the caption he was Austrian that would be great. DO you think that is a correct statement?
      Marc

Comment

The bottom bar is Austrian as well.

Top single I'm not sure.

Second row is a typical mish-mash of 4 Austrian medals on the Bravery Medal ribbon, followed by a Karl-Truppen-Kreuz. Given the swords devices, they aren't Bravery Medals, so most likely a mix of a Military Merit Cross and Signum Laudis medals, indicating an Austrian junior officer.

Third row is Honor Cross for Combatants; Austrian War Commemorative Medal; ?; two long service medals; probably a 1908 Jubilee Cross, Hungarian War Commemorative Medal, and maybe something after that like a Bulgarian War Commemorative Medal.

Comment

Thanks Dave!

Comment

After all the years I have been hanging around here, it still amazes
            me how you guys can read black and white ribbon bars.
            How can you tell that the middle bar is Austrian and not Hungarian?
            Didn't they use the same style ribbon only a different color?
            Green I think?

Just curious------

Greg

Comment

All those look alike Austrian ribbons.

The bottom bar starts with a WWI EKII bemethinks with EK device on ribbon. Placing it number one position makes me think he's German but probably served on Eastern Front with Austrians. The top ribbon is I still think the Hindenburg cross he never bothered to get mounted. The ribbon placement is probably just smallest to largest making I think this guy a German with a couple of years Austrian effort.

Comment

How can you tell that the middle bar is Austrian and not Hungarian?
                Didn't they use the same style ribbon only a different color?
                Green I think?
                You are correct in the Hungarian 'ladder' being green as opposed to the Austrian red. The green shows up lighter in b&w photos. Also the Hungarian ribbon is futher down the end of the bar, close to the Bulgarian. The Austrian awards have a higher precedence.

Not unlike the sometimes spectrum shift of Imperial ribbons, the Kaiser Wilhelm Centenary ribbon comes out as dark on old photos, even the ribbon itself is a yellow-gold in reality.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Thanks guys, well, we will see what the caption is...they are so tough to make!
                    Marc

Comment

Guys, what is the one on the lower right?
                      Thanks,
                      Marc

Comment

Honor Badge of the Bulgarian Infantry.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X