More Medal Bar Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Medal Bar Help

Any opinion on these is appreciated. My biggest issue now is knowing how to tell a put together bar from a legit one...in terms of whether they are possible combo's as well as materials and workmanship...I am not in posession of a good reference so I am picking your collective brains.

I don't own them...they are on ebay from 2 different sellers and I thought they looked OK but figured better to check. Thanks in advance...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Anthony Grisanti; 11-17-2006, 04:33 PM.

Second bar...
    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse...again from the ebay auction
      Attached Files

Comment

Tony,

The medals are probably good. The bars are what might be suspect, particularly the Wurttemburg-Hesse combo. The blue-framed photos come from a seller that gets lots of humorous discussion over at the GMIC if for nothing else, than because he builds monster bars and uses the term 'superb' about 12 to 17 times a page on his descriptions. Sometimes he has goofed up by adding enlisted and officer medals in the same bar in combos that cannot work.

These combos are possible I suppose. The top one I would trust more than the bottom one. But the uneven medal arrangement on a court mount raises an eyebrow. Medals are usually arranged (but not always) where the base of the medals are aligned even, regardless of the size of the individual medals. They just move the bigger medals higher up the ribbon to mount. This, of course would not apply to the hook-back mounts. The Seller took alot of lengths to describe the thread, etc. Why is he worried about it if it is a standard bar? My opinion. But the gold Wurttemburg and Hesse medals with an EKII are probably worth in parts what he is asking right now. Others may have a better feel. Steve
        Last edited by regular122; 11-18-2006, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks Steve...I never realized or noticed that they are usually arranged evenly from the bottom of the medal. Another lesson.
          I snatched the bar in the first pic. I feel OK with it based on the description and did find out the seller is a forum member as well. had some conversation with him so I feel better about the bar because of it.

From the description and from the pics on Dave Danner's site, I noticed the Golden Military Medal looks like it is issued in gold. This is obviously not gold, so my question is if it may have been a later issued example and the bar rehung without the usual leveling of the medals? I simply don't know if that would be a common practice by a vet at the time.
          T

Comment

Tony,

I am glad you got the first bar. Knowing the vendor makes me feel much safer about it. As I stated, it appeared good in medal content and was likely to be the better of the two. Knowing it came from a trusted forum member here would have saved much of the discussion.

I would defer to Dave Danner on the gold medal. He certainly knows the ins and outs on the variations. I think the medals are legit from the pics (and from the vendor) but the gold may be a wartime material as you state. Nice bar. I have a thing for the Hessian medals anyway. Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X