Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool Photo of Zaehringen Lion in wear

Hello folks,
    I would like to share with you this great photo of a 2nd class Zaehringen Lion from the Duchy of Baden in wear. It shows a pilot by the name of Hermann Vallendor who was a member of Jasta Boelcke.

This photo comes from a great book I got two years ago for my Birthday titled Jasta Boelcke by Norman Franks.

Does anyone else have any period photos of any grade of the Zaehringen Lion in wear? I have found photos of this award in wear to be somewhat rare especially when it concerns pilots.

Regards,
    Jody
    Attached Files

Jody,

Pretty tough to find the pics of pilots. I found this one of Hermann Goering with the OZL. Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

Cool!!!, sorry by the question but why i can get info of the award conditions and grades of this medal??

Regards

Carlos

Comment

Carlos,

Go to Forum Member Dave Danner's outstanding site here:

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/baden.htm

This is just the page on Baden but provides some great information and pics. THe whole site is a must to read through. Steve

Comment

Cool site!!!!
          thanks Regular 122!

Regards

Carlos

Comment

Zahringer Lion

Hello guys,
            Yes that is a great site and very informative. Any more period photos of the Zahringer Lion in wear?

Regards,
            Jody

Comment

Sorry i cant help you with pictures...yet!

Regards

Carlos

Comment

Generalleutnant Friedrich von Gontard, commanding general of XIV. Armeekorps (which comprised the two Baden regular divisions, the 28th and 29th Infantry Divisions) from November 1917 to June 1919, wearing ,among other awards, the Grand Cross with Swords of the Order of the Zähringen Lion. He is wearing the Grand Cross badge like a commander's cross, instead of on its sash, but you can tell by its size that it isn't a commander's cross. Also, that's a Zähringen Lion Grand Cross breast star next to his Iron Cross and above the other breast stars.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's the best that I can offer.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Close up.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is that 6 clasps on an 1870s commemerative medal? Which Armee Corps did he serve in?
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

X. Armeekorps

Don,

Alexander von Linsingen served in the 4. Westphäl. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 17 during the Franco-German War. The regiment was then subordinated to 40. Infanterie-Brigade, 20. Infanterie-Division of X. Armee-Korps.

Regards
                        Glenn

Comment

Thanks Glenn. I assume his clasps can be determined then since we know the unit.
                          pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X