Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 EK1 Screwback

Hello

I have just got back from the Stockport Militaria Fair, from where I bought this super, (well I think so), EK1. It has a small screwback with oval backing / retaining plate. The iron core moves slightly within the frame, and the cross itself appears to have a high silver content. Although it doesn't show to well in these photos, the core has a superb gloss or enamelled look to it, which looks really nice. The cross is very slightly vaulted. There are no makers or other marks on it.

As always, any comments or observations welcome.

Thank you.

Regards
    David
    Attached Files

Rear
    Attached Files

Comment

Rear, with plate and screw removed
      Attached Files

Comment

David,
        Beautiful cross I am 95% certain that what you have here is
        an unmarked Godet screwback. In very fine condition.
        Congrats on a very nice find.

Comment

That is a nice cross.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Regards
            David

Comment

David,
              Exceptionally nice!

This is the first time I have seen an oval retaining disk, pretty cool and the EK has just the right amount of wear on it! Congrats.
              Tim

Comment

I'd love to have it in my collection.

Comment

Beautimous. Steve

Comment

Hello

Thanks for all the kind comments. I too thought it looked pretty nice - which is why I just had to have it. Shame there were no pillowbacks at the show, I'd really like one of those in my collection.

Regards
                    David

Comment

Godet

I too believe that this is an unmarked Godet. The frame and the core(note the crown) match known Godets'. I believe that their is a picture of an oval disc cross in either Bowen's or Priveteara's book that matches this one. Nice find!

Comment

Sweet Cross Congrats!
                        Marc

Comment

Hi David,

Great looking cross! Great variant screwback!

I do not believe with certainty that it is Godet example though. Godet used at least two different cores and BOTH of those core types were ALSO used by other makers.

Regards
                          Mike
                          Regards
                          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                            Hi David,

Great looking cross! Great variant screwback!

I do not believe with certainty that it is Godet example though. Godet used at least two different cores and BOTH of those core types were ALSO used by other makers.

Regards
                            Mike
                            You are right Mike, Godet did use two different cores. Would you happen to know who the other makers were that used these cores? I still say that I believe that this is a Godet. The frame looks distinctly Godet, but I can't say with 100% certainty that it is a Godet. A great cross that I would love to have nonetheless!

Comment

Hello

Many thanks for all the comments.

Whilst it would be nice to be able to attribute this to a maker, to me it's the cross itself which is important. This is one the best looking EKs I've been able to find and buy in quite a while and as such that is why I'm really happy with it. Sure, the bonus would be to be able to say yes, it is by such and such a manufacturer but it's not really that important.

Of course, having said all that, now that my curiosity is roused, if you do determine who the maker is please let me know !!

Many thanks.

Kind regards
                              David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X