MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to this; any specific info on this? (pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to this; any specific info on this? (pic)

hello,

was told to post this here for possibly more specific info. i am very new at this....just started collecting (about a week ago actually!) lol....

i got a little info about this "pin" already, just wondering if anyone in this forum might have a little bit more specific info on it.

thanks!

sweetheart pin.
    Last edited by gregM; 09-23-2006, 07:45 AM.

Comment

thnx!

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
        Post war sweetheart pin.
        Why "postwar"? I would assume that this was made in 1916, from a piece of shell, and of course to celebrate someone's newly awarded EK.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryG View Post
          Why "postwar"? I would assume that this was made in 1916, from a piece of shell, and of course to celebrate someone's newly awarded EK.
          Terry --You are quite right ! When I first glanced at it I thought
          it read 1914-1918.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgang7 View Post
            hello,

was told to post this here for possibly more specific info. i am very new at this....just started collecting (about a week ago actually!) lol....

i got a little info about this "pin" already, just wondering if anyone in this forum might have a little bit more specific info on it.

thanks!

Nice item !

Comment

A similar thing
              Attached Files

Comment

These are made from the band on an artillery shell that engages the rifling in the cannon barrel. The shell bodies were usualy steel that that rode the tops of the lands in a rifled cannon barrel. The driving bands were usually a softer metal such as brass or copper that engaged the rifling grooves and spun the shell to provide ballistic stability. This set up was so to prolong the longevity of the cannon barrel.

You will find these 'sweetheart' pins in many different forms and dates with the EK motif.

Tony
                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

wow.....good info! thanks for all your help....VERY helpful....

and thanks for the compliment
                  happy collecting....
                  -andy

Comment

I doubt that they were made from fired driving bands. I've seen a few of both and all of these pins I've seen are too uniform. I'm sure they got the motif from some enterprising soldier but someone made a die and stamped these out by the thousands.
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

I think Don's right. Perhaps the original one was made from a real driving band by some soldier entrepreneur or POW, but these commercial versions used simulated driving band bits that were specifically made to be used as jewelry.

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X