Flieger shoulder strap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flieger shoulder strap question

Here is a photo of an enlisted man that looks to have the letter "S" embroidered on his shoulder strap. I have looked at it under magnification and it does not appear to be an "8" but of course it could be. The number on his sleeve patch is 207, which also leads me to believe it to not be a numeral. I was not aware of anything but numbers on these straps and was wondering if anyone has an example or information on whether lettering was used, and what it might stand for? The photo was in a group that was taken at Kampstaffel Trier in late 1915 or early 1916. Thanks.

Mike
    Attached Files

Hi Mike,
    I collect enlisted Flieger straps as well as photographs. I have never seen anything but numbers or no number under the FEA (Flieger-Ersatz-Abtielung) straps. I changed the contrast of your picture in PhotoShop and I can make out that it is, in fact, a number "8". The Flieger units, placed all the weird letters etc on the sleeve patches, numbers for units, F for early Flieger, V for Versuch, FP for Flieger Park and a bunch of others that are confusing. Your Flieger was trained at FEA 8 and then attached to FA 207. Nice photo. Tony Here is more, click on "shoulder straps" http://www.kaisersbunker.com/flieger/

Comment

Thanks Tony, that answers my question. I thought maybe I had stumbled across something unusual.

Regards,
      Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X