XVII Armee Corps Commanders France 9.8.15 - PLM Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XVII Armee Corps Commanders France 9.8.15 - PLM Winners

I messed up on the date when I typed it, it's 1918 not 1915. That would explain the long faces on most of these gentlemen.

First of the unknown identified by Glenn!

#8.0 Bavarian Oberstleutnant Adolf Herrgott. Herrgott born on the 1st of October 1872 rose to become a Reichsheer Generalmajor and ultimately a Generalleutnant z.V. in WW2. He died on the 15th of February 1957.

#9.0 Lt. Gen. Gunther von Etzel.

I know number 9.0 is wearing a PLM, maybe #8.0. Besides the Kaiser's great grandfather and the commander number 9.0, anyone know any of these faces or their positions. #9.0 was commander of XVII Armee Corps on this date 9.8.15. Notice the death's head on the gentleman holding Kaiser Sr. Most of these men wearing EKI's and a few with wound badges.

Rick, use the bar at the bottom to scroll to the right. Without this level of detail I don't think you could make out the ranks and emblems.
    Last edited by Brian S; 03-06-2003, 03:37 PM.

Any chance of a bigger scan? Thanks for placing #12. I roared with laughter. Thanx! T

Comment

I hope you're kidding about a bigger scan. Rick has threatened me with deImperialization for wrongful scanning. Any of these guys I can concentrate on specifically?

Comment

Yes, I was kidding about a bigger scan, I can't quite count the nose-hairs on # 6. Haha!

Comment

10 is wearing already the Karpathen-emblem on his cap! I didn't know it was issued this early.

Comment

The commander of the XVII AK on 9.8.1915 was General der Infanterie Günther von Pannewitz.

02.08.14-31.10.14 Kdr 4. Infanteriedivision
            01.11.14-06.09.16 Kom. General XVII. Armeekorps
            07.09.16-11.11.18 stellv. Kom. General XX. Armeekorps

Awarded the PLM 13.9.1916, which means that the guy in the picture is either not wearing the PLM, or he is not the commander of the XVII AK, or the date 9.8.1915 is wrong. An interesting problem, take your pick!

Regards,

VJK

Comment

Wrong title

DAMN, my title is wrong the picture was 1918!!! Gunther von Etzel was acting commander after some problems Otto von Below experienced near the end of the war.

22 Apr 1912: Commander 33rd Cavalry Brigade
              24 Sep 1914: Acting Commander Guards Cavalry Division
              01 Dec 1914: Commander Leibhusaren Brigade
              03 May 1915: Commander 3rd Cavalry Division
              09 Aug 1916: Commander 2nd Cavalry Division
              14 May 1917: Commander 11th Infantry Division
              23 Jun 1918: Acting Commanding General XVII Army Corps
              27 Aug 1918: Acting Commanding General XVIII Army Corps
              Last edited by Brian S; 03-06-2003, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Adolf Herrgott

The PLM holder behind Generalleutnant von Etzel's right shoulder is the chief of staff of XVII Army Corps, the Bavarian Oberstleutnant Adolf Herrgott. Herrgott born on the 1st of October 1872 rose to become a Reichsheer Generalmajor and ultimately a Generalleutnant z.V. in WW2. He died on the 15th of February 1957.

Regards
                Glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X