How do you cut ribbons off medal bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you cut ribbons off medal bars?

Is there a safe way to remove medals from a ribbon bar? I just can't enjoy these all bunched up and hidden. Now how many people are going to have a fit before they realize I'm just kidding? We'll see! Sense of humor here is what? Aren't they just too pretty? Last pictures before they go into 'the bank box'.

Nooooo! Not thaaaattttt! PRABS* Syndrome!

Actually, this is too big: I would like to see the ENTIRE Japanese 1904-05 medal, please, to see how they mounted that "British-style" suspension on a German bar.

* Post Ripped Apart Bar Stress Syndrome: I actually know someone who boasts about ripping medal bars apart in the 1960s and having had his mommy iron the ribbons out flat, because he thought they looked "better" that way!

Flashback! Flashback!

Comment

Whew, glad you asked, I was cutting from left to right. Just how HOT should that iron be again? I think I may have singed a few already.
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting attempt at the doubled German style ribbons! I'd have expected it slapped on OVER doubled ribbons underneath the way many WW1 Turkish Imtiazes and Liakats were done ((H)) looking, THREE ribbons.

Comment

If it helps, most of his medals and decorations are Wagner. Most of his pictures from Berlin. Assume someone in Berlin put this together. No ribbon man on back.

Comment

I too, saw this thread and freaked out! "Oh NO!" I cried to myself. I was glad to see it's only a joke! Then I read of those horror stories to ribbon bars in the past, what a shame.

That medal bar is killer! I love to look at those even if the pictures are like these. One day, here I go again, one day I will have a medal bar almost as awesome. I just have to get the kids out of the nest!

Comment

medal bar

Hello,

Seems like on hell of a bar you have there my friend => any chance of showing us the complete bar ? as im already drooling over my PC

Cordial greetings,
              my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Thanks Stijn! I didn't get a good one of only the bar and now it's locked up. I cut and pasted this out. Sorry for the words on it but I don't want to see it offered on eBay.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thats a hell of a bar!
                  Congratulations!!!

Do You know the name of the owner?

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Spiess, here!jump to

Comment

Great group - a story waiting to be told in that one!

Comment

Totally Cut it up ASAP!!!!!!!!

Comment

They ironed out real guuuud.

Cut up real nice...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I recommend silicone rubber cementing them onto newspaper, with staples for extra holding power.

Comment

Based on his service record, I'm guessing he was a major when he completed this particular grouping. Maybe a light colonel... Thoughts?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X