Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Combatant 1914 Ek2

Hello

I have just acquired a non combatant EK 2. The EK is standard three piece construction, with magnetic iron core. The ring stamping is quite worn but appears to be either 'WS' or 'W&S'. The ribbon doesn't glow under UV light and passes the burn test.

As usual, any comments or observations welcomed.

Regards
    David
    Attached Files

Rear of EK
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice Cross

You have a nice and rare piece. The only "adverse thought" that I would have is that without it being part of an original mounted medal bar, there is no definate way to really determine how long the cross and ribbon have been together.

Please bear in mind that there were only 13,000 NC 1914 EK2 s awarded in WW1 versus the 5,000,000 Combatant versions.
      <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_102741-->

Comment

Originally posted by PaulR
        Nice Cross

You have a nice and rare piece. The only "adverse thought" that I would have is that without it being part of an original mounted medal bar, there is no definate way to really determine how long the cross and ribbon have been together.

Please bear in mind that there were only 13,000 NC 1914 EK2 s awarded in WW1 versus the 5,000,000 Combatant versions.
        <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_102741-->
        Hi

I recognize that smiley from somewhere else... ..I was just thinking the same on the cross and ribbon. Very nice looking, but as you say, no telling how long they have been "married". Very nice.

Comment

Does it really matter? It would be nice to prove they were original to each other but why should it even come up since this question could arise about so many items discussed on this forum. Even parade mounts are often removable. I have one here that I can clip the medals on and off putting any EK I want on there. Same goes for any cased awards even if the maker matches up. RK with ribbon. Goes for a lot of money and when one is posted no one asks if the ribbon came with it originally. Many groupings are the same thing. If the ribbon is original I would enjoy it because the crosses were the same as any EK2. By the way I am looking for one myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campell
            Does it really matter? It would be nice to prove they were original to each other but why should it even come up since this question could arise about so many items discussed on this forum. Even parade mounts are often removable. I have one here that I can clip the medals on and off putting any EK I want on there. Same goes for any cased awards even if the maker matches up. RK with ribbon. Goes for a lot of money and when one is posted no one asks if the ribbon came with it originally. Many groupings are the same thing. If the ribbon is original I would enjoy it because the crosses were the same as any EK2. By the way I am looking for one myself.
            Hi Steve Quest... I really like this one

Hi Steve Campell,

I do understand what you are saying.

My point is that it would be easy to place original ribbon and an original cross and pass it off as an issue piece.

However, if the ribbon is mounted on a bar one can rest assured that it is one of the 13,000. It is not the actual cross or the ribbon... it is an honest to god period mounting that is worth the big bucks IMHO.

I love collecting noncombattant medals myself.

Last edited by PaulR; 08-22-2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

But can't that cross come off of that mount and be replaced with another cross? The assumption is both ribbons, that being a single ribbon and the parade mount ribbon are genuine. So how is a parade mount different than a single medal when it comes to trying to prove if both are original to each other? Nice medal bar my the way.

Comment

Hi Steve,

First off, PM sent.

Secondly...

It is not the medal or the ribbon that makes this set for me. It is the actual period mounting.

You are right... the actual EK could have been replaced at any time between 1914 and 2006.

The period mounting is what makes the whole thing special to me. It is the actual mount that makes it one of the 13,000.

Comment

Hello

Thanks to all for their comments. As yousay there is no way of knowing how long these have been together. I am, however, convinced they are period pieces, and I just enjoy it at it is.

By the way, a very nice mounted set youhave there.

Regards
                  David

Comment

Thanks for the compliment David!

I was not saying that the pieces of your cross were not period(ribbon and cross). I believe that they are. I am not even saying that they do not belong together(originally packaged together). They MAY.

I think that your piece is great.
                    Last edited by PaulR; 08-23-2006, 08:22 AM.

Comment

As long as the pieces are genuine and the owner and others can enjoy, I don't think it matters much. Those are both really nice pieces anbd I hope to have something like it one of these days.

Comment

Does it really matter?
                        Steve!!!!! Shame on you, I thought you were a purist like me ...

Comment

I said genuine items. Since ribbons can be switched so easily and we're talking almost 100 years who really knows. Same with these groupings you see. I bought a small bavarian grouping of 4 medals said to be from one individual. I have no reason to doubt the seller and it's probably true but who knows really? The medals are all generic common pieces and there's no real proof that they belong together. I have them in a seperate dispay and they look good. I even added a black wound badge to fill up space. It's historically correct but does not really belong. Still looks good and whose to say there wasn't one originally in the group but has been lost to time? My point is no one knows in most cases.

Comment

I said genuine items. Since ribbons can be switched so easily and we're talking almost 100 years who really knows. Same with these groupings you see. I bought a small bavarian grouping of 4 medals said to be from one individual. I have no reason to doubt the seller and it's probably true but who knows really? The medals are all generic common pieces and there's no real proof that they belong together. I have them in a seperate dispay and they look good. I even added a black wound badge to fill up space. It's historically correct but does not really belong. Still looks good and whose to say there wasn't one originally in the group but has been lost to time? My point is no one knows in most cases.
                            I guess it is just a matter of preference and point of view that has to be made by the individual that owns the pieces. For me, I never ever add or detract anything to the items in my possession, never marry ribbons or cases, or swap either. As far as not knowing for sure, you are correct, but I won't be the one to second guess.

Comment

I haven't done it either and don't plan on making a habit of it, but if I came across a non combatant ribbon by itself I think I would stick it on a nice EK just because it would display better. I think I would consider putting medals in cases they never came in for display purposes. Was thinking about trying to find a home for that nice EK1 I got from you because I think it would look great. I wouldn't misrepresent it or anything. I'm looking for a case for my KVK1 without swords right now because I have a cased one with swords. I think they would look great next to each other. Everything must be genuine and accurate though. If the case is maker marked the cross would have to match and single groupings would have to be historically accurate. I would'nt permantly alter anything or modify anything.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X