Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval Airship badge opinion needed

Dear all,

After having checked the thread on the Naval airship badge I haven't seen my Naval Luftschiffer badge and I don't know if it is an original one or not . I would greatly appreciate if the experts could give me their opinion. Thanks.

Front
    Attached Files

Naval Airship badge opinion needed

back
    Attached Files

Comment

Naval airship badge opinion needed

Detail of the marking. Sorry I can't get a better pic. My camera isn't very good. Unpossible get a closer pic of the marking CE Juncker Berlin. There is no bar on the top of the "J".
      Attached Files

Comment

Marine Zeppelin Badge

Hi Pierre, I have an example of this badge which is in a similar state of wear. I am 100% comfortable that your badge is a 1920's original piece.Mr Niemann shows such a Juncker example in his latest book. I have examined all the details of my badge very closely , the remains of the frosting ( probably the same as yours ) has opaqued to a yellowish hue in the deeper recesses of the badge, exactly as per several flight badges that I have with frosting. The pin on mine is the same as yours , rounded on top, flat under and shear-cut. I have a retired marine pilot badge which is 900 silver and probably 1920's which has the exact same pin ( cut a little shorter to suit the smaller badge ) but the shear -cut pattern on the edge is exactly the same as the zep pin. I know that the retired badge is OK as it came from a veterans family. The badge too is struck and shear-cut and by examining the profile of two badges one will see that it matches up exactly but with slight movement on the cut -out registration ( it is hard to explain without pointing this out on the badge) but to cut a long story short it means that with this registration variation it cannot be spun cast and must be struck, but there are very,very good cast examples of this badge(I was almost caught myself). The inner edges of the open area should be square edged and should show signs of being sawn out and chased with a file, not rounded edged. Early badges show signs on the open area being hand sawn whereas later badges the cut-out marks are more uniform from a jigsaw. Let me know if you want any more details to compare!! Ferg1

Comment

Hello Ferg1,
          Thank you very much for your more than complete expertise. I am amazed by your skills. Thanks again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X