1914 EK1 trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1914 EK1 trade

I traded someone a bronze 'F&BL' CCC clasp for this. I realize that it's in poor condition and is incomplete. What do you guys think? Did I do well, should I have passed on the trade?
    Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 09-01-2008, 12:05 PM.

the reverse!

. Say, brother! Can you spare a retaining hook?
    Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 09-01-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Gotta Love that.....

.... hairpin thingamabob on the back! I think you did fine. Now, just a gentle, dry-brushing of the core will remove some of the crud. Unless that pitty-looking stuff is under the paint, in which case, you might have been "had" as it were. A rare variation in any condition!

Comment

Eric,

You sneaky b*stard !!!

You traded a bronze CCC for what looks like an unmarked (or so failtly marked I can't make it out) KMST DRGM EK1? Hmmm, as a hybrid Imperial / Third Reich / EK collector, I know who got the raw end of this deal but I don't know HIS name!!

Nice find, even if it is a bit beaten up. This is something that would be worth getting a jeweller to repair as the catch should not be that hard to replicate.

Regards
        Mike K
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Well,

I can't really say I was sneaky, because the Spange was sealed in a very brittle original cellophane packet. I am tempted to use a bit of soap on the cross, but am balking at the idea of having a jeweler mess with the reverse, because the frames in all probability would separate.

Comment

Extremely rare!

I suggest leaving it as is. It is an EXTREMELY rare EK. I was told that this type of attache me was used on the Kaiser's guard's medal brest plate.
            Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

I give up-- what the heck IS it? It looks like a combination mustache and cigar trimmer. How the heck does that thang WORK?

Make some scans of it going up and down, or whatever it does!

Comment

Lock ?

Is it some kind of locking device to ensure the pin doesn't seperate from the retainer ? Never seen nuffin like it guvnor, whatever you came out on the right side of the deal !

Comment

Here is one.

The hooks slide up & down over two hangers on the uniform.

Comment

Here it is open.

Comment

Ah! Much obliged! So Eric's is missing one end! And the thing has two J shaped bits that close together sort of like squirrel teeth, overlapping in the middle? Some sort of spring tension that keeps it from dropping open?

Intrigued with this Rube Goldberg-esque mechanism.... Now need a SIDE view to see how it fits together!

Comment

Side picture

Here is the side view. The bottom (sliding part) has a forward curved part which snaps into a notch in the top (fixed) part. Locking it into place.

Comment

Thanks, Johnny d

for providing a few pics of a complete example. As far as collecting '14 EK1's goes, I would consider these types to be the "Rolls Royces" of EK1's. Bear in mind that there were other KMST styles with different attachment devices made as well.

Now, the "Maybach" equivalent of an EK1 from 1914 would of course have a nice onyx center...

Comment

Wow!! I'll bet it even juices, dices, slices, and opens cans! It's the Eiserneskreuzomatic from Popeil.
                            Seriously, I love those! Not sure about the Kaiser's guard breastplates story, though.

Comment

"Maybach"

Here is unusual "nut" on this "Maybach" . I would say a field replacement.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X