Is this what I think it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this what I think it is?

Last edited by IMPERIAL QUEST; 10-23-2006, 02:59 PM.

@ImperialQuest

'Ritter d. Eisernen Kreuzes' means Knight of the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class.

Alltough the Iron Cross wasn't founded as classic Order in 1813 and later in 1870 and 1914 when it was renewed this inscription uses the word knight indicating that the Iron Cross was an order. An Expression that you can find sometimes in sources from WW1. It doesn't mean Knighthood in sense of nobility but should symbolize that the bearer was member of the Knights-Brothership of the IC-Recipients. Sorry for my complicated english but i don't know how to write it in easier words.

regards haynau

Comment

Last edited by IMPERIAL QUEST; 10-23-2006, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMPERIAL QUEST
        "yes, it is a grave marker, but it was not stolen. In Germany, bodies are not embalmed, and the deceased are placed in wooden caskets. After 50 years, there are no remains left, so the plot is sold to accommodate a new occupant. Any stones or memorials are removed and if possible, returned to the family. If no one claims, or wants the marker, it usually finds its way onto the market."
        Just wanted to confirm that this is essentially correct.

While the actual proceedings vary from cemetery to cemetery, plots are indeed only "purchased" for a limited time. (In fact, one buys not even the plot but the right to use it for a grave.) Usually as of today that time is about 20-30 years (though I've seen figures as low as 12 years). 50 years is probably a figure from years long gone. And even though it still was possible to buy plots permanently in the first half of the last century, most cemeteries have retro-actively downgraded that to a limited time. Regarding the grave stone/memorial markers, rules vary to good degree. Usually they are indeed offered to the family (I have "parked" the memorial marker of my great-uncle in my parent's backyard.) - if not taken they become property of the cemetery administration to dispose of as they see fit. Some options include indeed selling them (though a rare one) and - far more common - simply destroying them, for example to build streets. (Which can happen even to well-known names of Germany's past.)

Folkert

Comment

Last edited by IMPERIAL QUEST; 10-23-2006, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Many over here feel that this has degraded to nothing more than pure business these days and that is why anonymous burial has seen a steady rise over the last years.

(I personally know of a scandalous case where a family purchased a plot large enough for generations for "forever" in 1895. After the WWII, "forever" was downgraded to 30 years [it was even tried to charge them retroactivley because that period that "obviously" been reached by 1925]. Later came a downgrade to 20 years and a fee to pay for every new burial on the plot. The last stone was the decision to forbid any further burial on the plot because the cemetery was to be declared 'closed'. Considering that the family in question was that of one of Germany's most influential constitutional law teachers, I consider this one of the low points.)

"Do you have any idea as to wether this was a privately purchased example or one provided by the German Government?"

Do you mean the plaque you found?

If so, it was almost certainly privately purchased. In fact, I am not aware of any being provided by the government.

[EDIT: Oops, the fog in my brain just lifted! You menat the plot, of course.

Considering the plaque in question, it is a bit too elaborate for those usually seen on government-owned cemeteries. So I'd think it is a privately commissioned piece, placed on the family plot, either over an actual grave or just as a memorial marker. (In light of the date of his death, the second option seems far more probable to me.)

Comment

Last edited by IMPERIAL QUEST; 10-23-2006, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Reupke

Steven,

Leutnant der Reserve Karl Reupke was a member of 9. Lothringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 173 at the time of his death. I.R. 173 was a compnent of 223. Infanterie-Division.

Regards
                Glenn

Comment

Comment

Incredible!

Might I ask how you come to know this?

Thanks,

Folkert

Comment

Hello!

This plaque says "fallen in the Argonnen", on the 29. september 1918, did they
                      really retrieve fallen Leutnants from the battlefield at this time to bury them in
                      germany?
                      I can hardly believe it. E.g. his hometown Hagen is in westfalia, quite a long trip in these days.
                      In my opinion this was more a commemorative plaque on a german cemetary or a
                      plaque on a german grave in france.

My two cents.

Best regards,
                      Henrik

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by haynau
                          @ImperialQuest

'Ritter d. Eisernen Kreuzes' means Knight of the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class.

Alltough the Iron Cross wasn't founded as classic Order in 1813 and later in 1870 and 1914 when it was renewed this inscription uses the word knight indicating that the Iron Cross was an order. An Expression that you can find sometimes in sources from WW1. It doesn't mean Knighthood in sense of nobility but should symbolize that the bearer was member of the Knights-Brothership of the IC-Recipients. Sorry for my complicated english but i don't know how to write it in easier words.

regards haynau
                          I think you explained it very well!

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X