David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple pieces of my family history in WWI...my Great Grandfather’s Ek1 & Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple pieces of my family history in WWI...my Great Grandfather’s Ek1 & Helmet

This Ek1 (KO Maker) and helmet belonged to my great grandfather: Hauptmann Harry Lopinslitzer who was in France and Romania as part of the Artillerie and Gebirgsjager. He was awarded the ek1 for if I remember correctly: two of his men were being taken prisoner by five Frenchmen and he ran into the trench and shot three of the French and cut the other two down with his bayonet.

Sorry about the crappy camera.

BTW: The helment is not his, it is an item that he had.

-Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen Stout; 07-20-2006, 12:36 PM.

Your great grandfather was an officer (Hauptmann) .....but the helmet you posted is an enlisted men Prussia helmet !? And you told us he was an artillery soldier, but I think it's no artillery ww1 helmet...or is a ball at the top of the helmet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Leibhusar
      Your great grandfather was an officer (Hauptmann) .....but the helmet you posted is an enlisted men Prussia helmet !? And you told us he was an artillery soldier, but I think it's no artillery ww1 helmet...or is a ball at the top of the helmet ?
      The helmet is not his...it is an item he had from the war, even though the only other things there are of his is, an Ek2 and his diary which my grandmother has.

Comment

OK !

Comment

We would love to see the diary.
          What regiemnt was he in?
          Chris B. is attempting to add stories to EK awards. He'd be interested in hearing about how your Grandfather got his issue EK1.

Comment

Originally posted by McCulloh
            We would love to see the diary.
            What regiemnt was he in?
            Chris B. is attempting to add stories to EK awards. He'd be interested in hearing about how your Grandfather got his issue EK1.
            Unfortunately, my Grandmother won't give me the diary until she dies as inheritance because that is the last thing she has of her father. I have only be able to read it through once. The regiemnt I do not know but I will look it up. But I want to say the 6th Armee in Western and maybe 9th in Eastern. However I won't find out all the details fully until I get to talk to my Grandmother again. I do know for a fact he fought from 1914-1916 in the Western Front. And fought in the Eastern Front in 1917 to all most the end of the war, even though Russia left the Eastern Front in mid 1917.
            Last edited by Stephen Stout; 07-21-2006, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, this is what makes our hobby worthy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X