Parts for EK1's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts for EK1's

I was going thru my EK1 collection and I came across an old box with 6 very nice EK1's-- unfortunately each had a problem. Some are missing hooks for the pins and others are screwbacks without the plates.
    Since all of them are very nice I would like to have them repaired or get the missing discs replaced. Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers? I.e. when a jeweler attaches a new clasp-hook on the reverse will it damage the paint finish to the iron core? Thanks in advance!!

Hello Eric. There are low-temp solders that will hold perfectly well. Your jeweler can probably advise you as to whether he thinks the paint will be at risk.

Comment

Thanks, Dave! If I am going to go to the trouble of having these EKs restored I'd like to have them done completely up to spec-have you done this before? I don't want to sell them--it's just a project I'm considering. I think my most favorite EK is the one in Previtera's book with the complicated ratchety thingy on the back. Never seen one at the local flea-market, though!

[This message has been edited by eric (edited March 25, 2001).]

Comment

Eric,

My 1914 EK1 was also missing a catch. We substituted by folding a round piece of silver, flattened the top a bit and glued in back into the groove where the original catch was. I would'nt recommend this if it's possible to solder the catch back on, as it's not too hard to see that the catch has been repaired. If anyone here knows how to solder it back on without ruining the paint, I'd do it in a second. Like you I don't want to sell it, but it's nice to have it look 100% original.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X