Honor Goblet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honor Goblet?

I recently aquired this goblet, but am not sure what it is. My photos are not the best, but it is a very high quality and detailed goblet. Is it some form of honor goblet? Around the base are the words, "VII. MITTLEDEUTSCHES U. VII. BRANDENBURGISCHES BUNDES = SCHIESSEN - BERLIN 1882". Also on the lower portion of the base is the silver content and maker marks, "750 H. REINHARD". Any information about this goblet would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay Faure
    Attached Files

Hg2

Photo 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Hg3

Photo 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Hg4

Photo 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Hg5

Photo 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Hg6

Photo 6
            Attached Files

Comment

Hg7

Photo 7
              Attached Files

Comment

Translation

Hello all, my German is very limited. Can someone please help me with the inscription translation. Thanks, Jay

Comment

Originally posted by VE45
                  "VII. MITTLEDEUTSCHES U. VII. BRANDENBURGISCHES BUNDES = SCHIESSEN - BERLIN 1882
                  This is an award for an annual shooting-competition taken place in Berlin. In this case we have the competion for middle-germany (="Mittel-Deutschland", consisting back then of Sachsen, Mecklenburg, Brandenburg, Berlin (part of Brandenburg then), Sachsen-Anhalt, Niedersachsen and Nordrhein-Westfalen). The shooting competition (= "Bundesschiessen") stills takes place every year in germany.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the information. It has been very helpful. Is this strictly a civilian shooting competition or was it for the military as well? Can you tell me about the crest with the bear and towers. What do they represent? I purchased the goblet for 50.00 US. Did I do OK? Thanks again for your help. Regards, Jay

Comment

The Bear Wappen is the symbol of the city of Berlin. For $50.00, I would say it was a steal!
                      Erich

Ooops, I take that back. The Berlin bear wears a crown. I'm not sure what this one stands for--it looks like a city crest, though.
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks Eric

Hi Erich, thanks for the reply and the info. Regards, Jay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X