Machine Gun Batalion Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Gun Batalion Bayonet

HI guys, I was hoping for info on this regimentally mkd saw-back bayonet. It is an erzatz verion but it is regimentally marked 2.MG.K.280. There is no scabbard for it but other than that is appears to be in pretty good condition. I was hoping for historical info on the regiment and a general idea as value.

I have a KAR 98 that this should fit on. I hope this would be the right rifle for the MG troops.

Cheers,

Greg
    Attached Files

Closeup of the hilt
    Attached Files

Comment

Other side
      Attached Files

Comment

close up of marking
        Attached Files

Comment

saw
          Attached Files

Comment

Since there is no regimental I.D. it is probably not possible to know the combat history of the bayonet. That said, it is a very nicely marked and rare variant of the ersatz type bayonets.

Comment

Regimental Interpretation

Thanks GWA, would the interpretation of this bayonet be:
              2 Machingewehr-Kompanie, 180 man/rack number?

Any idea what state "Crown A" is associated with?

G

Comment

sabertasche,

The crowned "A" is an inspectors's proof mark. I don't think I have ever seen and Ersatz bayonet of this type with a state mark and date. Perhaps one with a rehilted blade with this information would be possible, but otherwise, I don't think it was done.

As of 1914, machine gun companies of infantry regiments, who normally carried pistols were required to have training on the Gewehr 98. However, they did not carry Gewehrs into the field, so your bayonet was worn strictly as a sidearm and was probably never mounted on a rifle.

By the way, cool bayonet and marking!

Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip!

Greg

Comment

Isn't it 2. Maschinen-Gewehr-Kompagnie Württembergisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.180 ?

Comment

IMO, I also think it's a rehilted / refurbished bayonet. The markings may have been from an earlier bayonet before being sent back to be overhauled and reissued. As the war progressed and some units lost there cohesive nature, weapons were no longer marked. At the point where these ersatz weapons came into being the need for identifying them to a particular regiment had long passed.

So, if that premise is acceptable what do we have here?

If we look closely at the markings, they may indeed read as such.

2.M.G.K.1. 80.

If we look at the position of the separating dots you will notice that the are mid letter or number in height. We will see that the number 1 is a larger font than the 80. Looking even closer we see that there may be a dot in the vertical leg of the number 1 about mid level similar to were the last dot is at the end.

Okay, If the marking is indeed 2. M.G.K. 1. 80. it can then possibly be interpreted as 1st Regiment, Machine Gun Company 2, waffe #80.

Similar markings in Jeff Noll's book "The Imperial German Regimental Marking" lists 2.M.G.K. 80.63 as Fusilier Regt. 80 MG Company 2 waffe # 63. He also lists 3. M.G. 133.18 as Inf. Regt 133, MG Company 3 waffe #18.

If the marking is in fact 2. M.G.K. 180.

Noll lists a similarly numbered 1. M.G. K. 102 as Machine Gun Company 1 waffe # 102.

Often times Regimental markings are hard to decifer, these examples are what I found that may relate to what on this bayonet.

For what it's worth.

Tony
                      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Tony ; spot on. Jeff Noll is the man on regimentals - especially MG. He got all my MG marked bayonets exepting one. The 'best' was a sawback 84/98 marked to a Maschinengewehr Scharfschutzen Kompagnie. The one I kept is a 71/84 bayonet...... the only 'wartime' for sure issue 71/84 bayonet I have encountered - It's marked to a Maschinengewehr Kompagnie.
                        That MG formations got issued gew98's and kar98a's is a fact. I have seen two MG unit marked gew98's and one Garde regiment MG company marked kar98a.

Comment

Two thoughts that argue against the bayonet being a rework of an earlier unit marked issue are the unique form of the ersatz guard and evolution of the German infantry regiment through the war years.

Prior to 1915 German infantry regiments included only one machine gun company. In 1915 each regiment was issued six additional heavy machine guns, hence a second company. By 1917 there were three machine gun companies to each regiment. Prior to 1915 MG company unit markings did not indicate a company number. Following this logic, the bayonet was issued in 1915 or later.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X