Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pencil Marks...What Do They Mean?

Hi,
    As you can see, there are colored pencil marks on the outer carton of this CO 3rd, Cl. Are these QC or inventory numbers?
    Last edited by IMPERIAL QUEST; 10-31-2006, 04:35 PM.

Could it be a Julian date?
    pseudo-expert

Comment

\
      Originally posted by ddoering
      Could it be a Julian date?
      I would have never thought of that.... . I get a year of 59459 with the numbers I can make out...and if I did it right... Hey, it's from the future.

Comment

Three possibilities I can think of: museum or collectors inventory number, Officers service or field post number or something else.
        Dan Murphy

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, at least now I have some ideas of what they might represent. When I get it out of lay-away in 3, or 4, or 5 months ...Ill post some good pics of the entire set. It is an absolutely stunning, mint set.

Comment

Those pencil marks?!!!

...I'd go with that date from the future...

No seriously, I've seen that kind of thing on a lot of medal boxes, Soldbuchs, militarpasses, documents, etc. for years. The germans have these wonderfully made items and then they go and scrawl on them with a pen or pencil.
            After a while, I don't even see them any more. It's just part of the piece and it's unique history.

Can't wait to see the entire set of yours. Thanks for your offer to show them to us!

Comment

I think it can be the number from the award document on the lower left corner.

Here a example:

Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by IMPERIAL QUEST
                \
                I would have never thought of that.... . I get a year of 59459 with the numbers I can make out...and if I did it right... Hey, it's from the future.
                8203 would be the 203d day of 1918. Its an old military staff thing.
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle
                  I think it can be the number from the award document on the lower left corner.

Here a example:

Eagle
                  Hi,
                  Thanks very much. If so, then it could be possible to trace this award to the recepient,............yes .

@ Don- Thanks again for the help. I used too many numbers....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X