10 piece medal bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 piece medal bar

I recently aquirred this bar, but am a little illiterate to imperial Germany, and would love some help on it

Thank you
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Let me know if you need more close ups
      Attached Files

Comment

More
        Attached Files

Comment

Thankyou
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks Austrian to me Dan. The awards on the left are WW1 combat bravery etc....
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Yes that would make sense, as the owner was austrian, His name is in my car i will go get it, what would be a value to something like this, aswell somewhere I could research the medals, im not haveing much luck.

thanks

Dan

Comment

Dave Danner has a good site for reasearching imperial medals. here is the
                link------

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria.html

Comment

Thank you for the Link.

Here is the information I have for the wearer recieved from the Grandson

His name was Otto Kogelmann
                  from Burgenland, Gussing.

Do you think I could research this at all?

Comment

Otto Kogelmann

Dan,
                    You could try writing to the (Austrian Army Hisorical Museum) Heeresgeschichtliches Museum Arsenal 3, Building 18 A-1030 Vienna or the Austrian State Archives-Kriegsarchiv Nottendorfgasse 2, A-1030 Vienna, giving as much information as you have on Otto Kogelmann. Be prepared to wait for an answer. Good luck
                    regards,
                    Ian
                    PS From my limited knowledge it would appear that Otto was an NCO during his service in the Austro-Hungarian Army.

Comment

thank-you Kaiser, Im going to try, I will let everyone know how I make out.

Dan

Comment

This should have all of the A-H awards:

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/decorat.htm

Left to right they are

First Class Silver Bravery Medal
                        Second Class Silver Bravery Medal
                        Second Class Bronze Bravery Medal
                        Iron Merit Cross
                        Wound Medal
                        Hindenburg Cross
                        Austrian WWI medal
                        Nazi Police Long Service Medal
                        Medal for defense of the Tirol durring WWI
                        and
                        Hungarian WWI Medal

The 1st Class Silver Bravery which would be in excess of $100, the 2nd class bravery medals and the Iron Merit Cross are worth between $30-50, and the others perhaps $15-25 each, with the notable exception of the Nazi police medal, who’s value I have no real idea of.

The bravery medals all seem to be Franz Joseph bravery medals which seem to be slightly more popular than their Kaiser Karl equivalents.

Obviously the sum of the parts is worth quite a bit more than the components, especially when you have a name to go with them.

Comment

Police Long Service Cross

By coincidence, I was looking to purchase a Police long service cross. I found one for sale for $120. But that was all by itself. The cross in gold is for 25 years of police service. I agree with Ottomaton that the medals together on a bar are worth far more than the individual specimens and worth even more with the name.

As for researching, since we know he was in the police force and earned the 25 year cross, is there a way to research the police force records? Has anyone ever found anything taking this approach?

Nice Bar and with the name too... If you can discover even more about this guy If you come up with a photo

Comment

The bar is missing a Karl-Truppen-Kreuz. The ribbon is there, in the space between the Iron Cross of Merit and the Wound Medal. So it is actually an 11-medal bar, just missing one medal. If he was an NCO, he was a junior one, as there is no 6-year long service cross.

Comment

Thanks again for all your help and information.

would you guys leave the bar as is? or repair it and find the other cross?

Dan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X