Meybauer Pour le Merite / Blue Max / PLM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meybauer Pour le Merite / Blue Max / PLM

Being new to the forum, I thought I would get some help researching this Meyabuer Pour Le Merite. It is identical to the Godet deisgn and has the same style of eagles. It is exactly like the one posted in this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=Meybauer+PLM

There are no content marks on the rim or ribbon ring but there is the Meybauer maker mark on the reverse. The letters are all hand traced and the crown is extraordinarily detailed. It is on 13 inches of unfinished, silver thread, black ribbon. Comments, opinions and especially info about Meybauer PLMs are most welcome. Thanks, Steve

Here are some pics.
    Attached Files

Pic 2

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4

Pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Pic 5

Pic 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Pic 6

Pic 6
            Attached Files

Comment

Pic 7

Pic 7
              Attached Files

Comment

Last Pic

Last pic. Thanks for any help. Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

I have no knowledge of the Meybauer firm surviving after 1945. If they did not, then this piece was either made pre'45 or is a fake ( I do not believe it is). If it was a fake they would be everywhere and this is only the third one I have seen. As to whether it is a funerary piece or was actually worn, that depends on who originally bought it and for what reason. I closely examined the one at the Max show as well and very much liked what I saw.
                  Dan Murphy

Comment

Thanks for the comments Dan. This is only the second one you ever saw then. This is the one from the Max show. The vendor confirmed before I read and found this website and these threads that Andreas and Steve had both looked it over.

Do you know more about the firm? Its full name, location, etc.?

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by regular122
                      Thanks for the comments Dan. This is only the second one you ever saw then. This is the one from the Max show. The vendor confirmed before I read and found this website and these threads that Andreas and Steve had both looked it over.

Do you know more about the firm? Its full name, location, etc.?

Thanks, Steve
                      Paul Meybauer, Junkerstrasse 19, Berlin is the only address I have for their location during WWI and until they went out of business when their main customer across town also went of out business in the aftermath of a large influx of people wearing brown uniforms...... Meybauer wasn't an Imperial orders manufacturer during WWI, and in all probability your one-sided medal was made between the wars. I've seen a few more of these than Dan. They aren't "wartime" and consequently, the collector value/demand is much lower than a wartime piece, or even the post-war two sided pieces. They aren't common, but market value is in the vicinity of post WWII Rothe pieces. I know of one example that came with a small grouping of items brought back from WWII by a US veteran. There was a spiked helmet eagle in the group, that was a plain Prussian eagle, although it was "officer grade", and there were to things that stood out about the plate: it was perfectly flat, and there was no means of attaching the helmet plate to a helmet. In conjunction with the one-side Meybauer PlM, and the flat helmet plate, that lends credence to the idea the Meybauer piece was probably intended for use on an Ordernskisse, or funeray pillow where someone's medals and awards would be displayed. Les

Comment

Thanks Les for the great info about the firm. It makes sense to be in Berlin given the striking resemblence to the Godet PLMs. I am happy to know it is a likely 20s / between the wars piece. To me value is not as important as originality and scarcity. I will probably never be able to acquire a wartime, named piece but was quite happy to get this example. I am happy that it holds a small niche in legitimate PLM examples. With so many clever and expensive fakes, it is almost as if you hold your breath every time on something decent.

How does this one compare to the others you have seen? The only other one I can find pics of, is in this forum (which is great, by the way). Are the colors the same and also are they typically identical to the Godet on the obverse? Do you or others have some other Meybauer pics that could be posted so that this thread may serve as an archive for Meybauer pieces?

Thanks again, Steve
                        Last edited by regular122; 05-13-2006, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X