Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased Wound Badge And Stickpin.

Hi Guys,

This was an impuse buy from eBay which can be a dodgy way to forward ones collection both on the method employed and source used however, I really like cased awards and this had taken my fancy.

I have a gut feeling that thinks 'maybe OK' but before I formally accept this package I really need some comments.

Wound badges (especially First World War ones) are not my main collecting focus which is basically 1939 EKII's and 1939 Army and Naval combat badges.

However, if OK, these will though go with a nice cased EK1 and cased EKII from the 1914-1918 period.

No parts of the case glow in UV light.

The large badge is magnetic in body - the pin and clasp are not.

The miniture is a little over 20mm in height, both body and pin are magnetic.

I believe that magnetic WW1 Wound Badges are deemed war manufacture and the wide hinge also points to this war time era but basically, I have no idea what I have. Also, the badges appear to be a nice silver colour (possibly silver plate) on the obverse with a possible silver wash to the reverse which has basically worn away.

Sorry about all the case photos but I have asked Marcus Hutton from the Packets and Cases Forum for his valued input too.

Thanking in advance Guys!!!

Regards ...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hagwalther; 04-27-2006, 04:02 AM.

Badges Obverse ...

Badges are more silver than this - see previous posting - taken this morning in early morning autumn sunlight in changable lighting conditions.

Attached Files
    Last edited by hagwalther; 04-27-2006, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Badges Reverse...
      Attached Files

Comment

Case Top ...
        Attached Files

Comment

Case Bottom ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Case Front ...
            Attached Files

Comment

Final Shot - Case Rear...
              Attached Files

Comment

hello,
                i would say that you have a nice original woundbadge in case, i would have bought it when it would have been offered to me

Comment

Hi Chris,

To be honest, Imperial and inter war cases I'm not overly conversant (far from) with and would myself certainly seek the advice of the experience on the Imperial forum.

The catch, in TR realms dosen't portray a fake, the earlier (some of a multitude) have the thin stem and apex head, which I would guess this did perhaps before it's knock.

The case looks very convincing, even the apt colour of the base in one shot like that of the purple EK1 case bases. I like the cut of the paper outer covering too. Th erlid liner is nice and flat looking, i like the material there too.

The frame around the base, isn't so well cornered giving it a wider arc impression compared to the base, but I'm not concerned over that, it just looks slightly odd in the minds eye.

I'd be guessing but would say if genuine in my opinion a TR (1930's) period private purchase piece ??

Over to experts really in this field mate, sorry to be of no use.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Hi,
                    I think you have a great find here. The case definitely looks period, and very convincing, but I will leave the case to the experts. As far as the badges go - great looking pieces. The wound badge mirrors one in my collection obtained directly from the veteran's family, and as you say, it is silver plated (my badge being entirely of silver plated brass). The hinge, pin, and catch are most likely made of brass. Do me a fovour, and put me in your will..... .

Comment

Normally "impulse buy" and "ebay" are a recipe for disappointment. When I first saw the badges in the case, I thought "reworked EK1 case". But, seeing it without the badges in it, I realized that it is a good case since it looks to have always been that way. The other thing I looked for was a trace of a EK imprint in the silk of the lid, there was none. I would say that this was made for a man (officer most likely) who wanted a case that matched the one his EK1 was in. So, you have a great original set and proof that there is still intelligent life on ebay.
                      Dan Murphy

Comment

Hi Iltisfront, Marcus, Steven,

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated !!!

I'm very happy on this nice little package and very glad that things turned up OK. Yes, eBay does have a few tricks up it's sleeve but it's getting harder and harder to find them.

Again, thanks for all the input.

Regards ...

Comment

Very nice and to a good price too.
                          I got the word on it to late, otherwise you would had some competition on it.

Comment

Great find - congratulations!

Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X