Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanseatic Cross Award Documents

First, the most common--Hamburg's--with about 50,000 awarded--

This one was bestowed on Hauptmann der Reserve F.J.A. Döhring of Rear Area/Line of Communications (Etappen) Inspection 15 on 20 April 1918. Döhring also received, among other awards, the NONcombatant EK2 on the combatant ribbon--for which see "All Three Types of EK2 Award Documents" thread.
    Attached Files

Next, Bremen's, with about 20,000 awarded--

Johann Jacobs was born in 1882. Married and the father of 4 children, he was an unlikely overage 1914 volunteer, but went on to become a Vizefeldwebel in the Provisional Reichsheer before returning to civilian life as a roofer in Bremen. See his Iron Cross document in the "All Three Types..." thread.
    Attached Files

Comment

Finally, the hardest to find, with only about 8,000 awarded, Lübeck's--

Ludwig Dillner was commissioned as a Leutnant der Reserve and twice wounded--once by a shell splinter in the neck, and also gassed.
      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Rick. Love those Hansa crosses. Same question - how hard is it to find these?
        -John Harman

Comment

I'd say the Hamburgs are "easy"--especially nowadays. Check your favorite online German dealers and they appear quite often.

Bremen and Lübeck are quite tough. I've seen many dozens of Hamburgs over the years, probably well into 3 figures, but one literal less than a handful for each of the other two cities.

Of course, the more complete a group the better, rather than just an odd single document. I've got not only Jacobs's Militärpass but ribbon bar, all his awards (missing only KVK2X document), insignia, letters, "denazification" clearance (easy, since he never was one)... Dillner likewise was a tidy fellow and noted the place, date, and type of his wounds on the back of his wound badge document. That almost makes up for him NEVER being in unit history group photos!

Note that although Hamburg's Urkunde is a one pager, Bremen's and Lübeck's each (this is from Dillner's document) have an extra page, on which is this wonderful little notice--

It must have been of great "comfort" to soldiers in mortal peril to know that they didn't need to worry about returning their decoration after their death!
          Attached Files

Comment

Just realized all these scans had gone poof in old image hosting loss, and have restored same.

Comment

Hi Rick,
              What is a Vizefeldwebel?
              Best, Sal

Comment

"Vizefeldwebel" was the Imperial army rank closest to later Wehrmacht "Feldwebel." Just to confuse things, an Imperial "Feldwebel" was what a Wehrmacht "Oberfeldwebel" was, and an Imperial "Sergeant" was a Wehrmacht "Unterfeldwebel."

When you see "Vizefeldwebel der Reserve" on WW1 documents, chances are good the man was a reserve officer candidate, since only regular cadets used the title "Fähnrich."

Here's a scan of three random soldiers from Hamburg sharing the cost of having photos made (then still Gefreiter Oetzmann whose album photos appear here and there her is at left). The bearded NCO in front is wearing his Hamburg Hanseatic Cross ribbon from the second buttonhole-- common practice for WW1 state awards during the war. Bremen and Lübeck soldiers must have worn their Hanseatic ribbons this way too, but I only have photos of Hamburg natives with this style wear.

(Hotdiggetydam I love this new scanner! )
                Attached Files

Comment

UH OH! You just confused me more with all the ranks as I am not familiar with them that much. I feel a PM with ,...questions comin on . I think I am enjoying your scanner as much as you are!
                  Best, Sal

Comment

The Hanseatic-crosses were one of the first crosses, that really appealed me. I like these crosses very much. I agree with Rick, Hamburgs are easy to find, Lübeck and Bremen are rarer.

Here is my only Hanseaten-mini so far:

best,
                    Gerd
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X