Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement

I have been following the Imperial Forum threads just long enough to know that there were many different ways that awards were placed on ribbon/medal bars....

But which way would be correct for the time period of award. Say, an award for the war of 1870/71? Would a Bavarian or Saxon wear their awards before Prussian awards? Or later, 1914/18?

I ask because I have found 2 bars that are interesting, but one has a 2.EK, Bavarian Merit Cross with swords, and the Honor Cross with swords. The other one has the Bavarian Merit Cross with swords first, then the 2.EK and Honor Cross with swords. I know that depending on the time this was last worn, either could be proper - but which one would be correct for the time period these would have been awarded?

Hi Mike,

until 1918 everybody had to follow the rules of his home country. So for example Bavarians, Saxons and partly Württembergians wore their own war decorations before the EK. From 1919 to 1935 no regulations were existing. In 1935 with the law about Orders, Decorations and Titles the first regulations for whole Germany were created.

Your first bar is in perfect 1935 order of precedence. Your 2nd bar is probably made 1934; as the Frontkämpferkreuz already was awarded but new regulations still not existing. So this guy decided to wear his awards in the old Bavarian way.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X