Need help to identifi this coin, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to identifi this coin, please

I am no imperial collector and i have no clue what this coin is, is it lokal money or canteen money. If anybody knows what this is please let me know
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Kokstok,
      This is a wartime emergency coin issued by the city of Dueren with a valuation of 10 Pfennigs. Later in WW1, there was a tendency to by the populace to hoard coins. Due to the shortage of hard currency, many cities issued their own coins which could be redeemed at stores in the city. I found a coin dealer with two of these for sale and the price is listed at $25 australian. Here is the link
      http://www.iswright.com.au/result-mi...php?subcat=211
      Dan Murphy

Comment

Hi Dan, thanks for this info so i wasn't far from the truth with my thoughts.
        Did every city had this type of money at the end of the war? and could it be traded against real Germen money?

Kr. René.

Comment

I do not believe every city did this, probably just some of the larger ones. One of the problems with this is they were probably only redeemable in the city of issue. There is no way the German government would exchange these for officially minted money. If you pay a quarter for a token at a video game center, can you take it to the bank and get your quarter back? No!!!
          Dan Murphy

Comment

Notgeld

This is an example of coin notgeld, there is a lot more notgeld in paper form. Most of the larger cities that could afford to, issued the coin form and many more cities,towns etc issued the paper form to make up for the lack of real money in circulation. This was token coinage meaning that it was not legal tender and every issuer made their own redemption rules and deadlines. The Duren 10 pfennig is fairly common and can be found for 3-5$ Later on as the inflation got worse the coin form ceased being made and was replaced by paper in ever increasing denominations. Besides cities, private companies and organizations issued 1000's of notes, many just for collectors. If memory serves me right there are over 20,000 cataloged types of German paper notgeld alone! A heck of a collecting field. Fred

Comment

There were some really neat Notgeld coins made of porcelain, too. The city that immediately comes to mind id Dresden.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Y
                There were some really neat Notgeld coins made of porcelain, too. The city that immediately comes to mind id Dresden.
                Yes! quite a few actually, many of which are multicolor and some of which actually circulated. Plus a ton of medals. They made notgeld out of many different materials such as coal, cloth, leather, card board and encased postage stamps to name the few that come to my mind. Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X