Strange EK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange EK

I was given this small EK a few years ago in Germany. It is rather odd and I thought I would post it for some feedback. The cross measures 27mm X 27mm without the crown which looks to be imperial German. The crown measures 14mm x 14mm. There is not a maker mark, but it is well made. It appears to be silver. Due to the crown I would guess it is from the imperial period, but also it could be post WWII as in the center of the cross is just the oak leaf without a date as is seen on the 1957 EKs. What are your thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

back

back
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

An interesting item! I've never seen anything like it but the hinge/pin/catch assembly strongly suggests post 45 to me. Some sort of WW1 veteran's association membership badge?

Regards
      Mike K
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Interesting piece

I can't really speak for when this would have been produced, but one observation I can make is that the crown resembles an Austrain/Hungarian crown to me. I'm sure I'll be corrected on this but perhaps it's origin is from that region, rather than Germany proper.

Who would have produced or worn it, I can't say. I would guess it must have been a privately commissioned piece, however.

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

I concur with Mike K

It certainly has the look of something produced towards the latter half of the century. The hinge assembly is interesting, as is the very wide catch. One would expect the catch to be wire instead of flat. The sizes of both aren't really commensurate with the dimensions of the cross.

My hunch is unfortunately that it is merely a very pretty fantasy piece, but I hope I am wrong...
          Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 01-23-2003, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I agree with Eric, looks like 100% fantasy junk, EK cross, with core that vaguely resembles a 1957 pattern, without the date, with the top half of a Imperial Prussian flight badge stuck on it.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

I tend to agree with everyone. I believe that it is postwar and nothing special. Since I got it for nothing I can't complain.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X