Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamburg Hanseatic Cross

Hello All,
    i have been offered a cased example of one of these medals.It is described as having the silver finish in a blackened/toned condition,and the piece has a makers mark.The case is described as being titled with the makers details under the lid,and the cross is wrapped in its original tissue wrapper.
    My question is,were these pieces maker marked?The description of the 'Blackened' silver finish seems to indicate that it is made from real silver,were they made from silver or just base metal?And finally is it usual to see the makers details under the lid of the box?A lot of questions i know,but hopefully someone can help me out before the cross is sold!!
    Kind regards,
    Andy.
    P.S Should i order it as there would be no problem with returning the piece if it is suspect?

Andy,

"Hamburgers" with makers mark are extremely rare, real silver ones too. Price? Could you try tell us the maker of the cross/case? Only for interest...

Comment

The ONLY maker's mark I've ever seen was a microscopic three leaved oakleaves twig with acorn (my scanner is unable to capture this) on the ring of a two ring suspension type (not the usual three ring Hanseatics suspension).

The only case I've ever seen for a Hamburg was white card with the city towers and gate design (as on center of cross) on the lid, and no maker mark.

The darkening could simply be the usual loss of silvered finish over the base metal.

Comment

I'll try to find out some more details this evening.He is asking £90 for the cross.
        Kind regards,
        Andy

Comment

Maker's Marks

Hi Andy, I've owned a multitude of these boxed over the years. There's a large and small white cardboard box, both have the Hamburg seal on the lid in gold, but I have never seen one with a printed maker on the box anywhere. I would be very interested to see the markings if you can get pictures.
          If your cross is indeed a silver one, as opposed to plated base metal, 90 pounds Sterling would be a very fair price, but I suggest you post pix prior to purchase.
          There was one Hamburg Cross I owned that had the cross wrapped in tissue and slipped inside a small, brown paper envelope, inside the box. The envelope was maker marked, but not the box. (it was the small style box). Had a pin and 3 different sized ribbons as well.
          The Bremen Cross was issued in a plain, deep-red/maroon box, the Lubeck in a red box/case. Boxes/cases for Bremen and Lubeck are exceedingly rare. The Hamburg one turns up on a fairly regular basis and can be had usually for $100 or less. A real silver cross is a whole other animal!

Comment

Well you live and learn!!!

Hello everyone,
            apparently this award is not a Hamburg Hanseatic Cross,i have been in touch with the dealer for photos,and he says it's a Hamburg Cross,a pinback starshaped award with a white enamelled centre depicting a soldier with a rifle!Having never seen one of these before would it be possible for someone to post a picture of what this award looks like 'in the flesh',and also to give me some info as to who received it and what for?Plus is £90 too much or a fair price?
            Please accept my apologies for giving wrong info,i must learn to read catalogues properly!!
            Kind regards,
            Andy

Comment

Okay, this is

a veteran's award. Nice star-shaped badge with enamel insets, extensive markings for maker to the reverse, and yes, the inner lid will have the Hamburg maker's name/address. If the cross is flawless, on the maker's card, you shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a super/boxed piece. usually sell in fine condition around $75.00. The original insert card came with a slot for the badge and slots for a miniature/stickpin badge as well. IMO 90 Pounds is too much. I'll try and root out photos from my archives when I get home.

Comment

Andy,

that is the Deutsches Feldehrenzeichen. A nice award which was bestowed after the war and is unofficial. 90 Pounds are too much, even with a case! I've found this picture on this page:

http://www.ku.edu/~kansite/ww_one/me...dl/weimar.html
                Attached Files

Comment

Just found this thread here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...threadid=15786

Comment

Oh Lord, THAT thing! Andy-- Eric has brought up an older thread: "Deutsches Feldehrenzeichen."

This was one of the last (I've had bestowal documents as late as 1934) vanity self-purchase pieces, VERY popular then so in no shortage of supply at all.

WAY overpriced by Third Reich dealers who assume from the design it is some Imperial Big Deal when it was simply another of the hundreds of private awards bought by recipients to make themselves look like a Field Marshal.

Comment

Hows this, a NZ dealer is selling one (with doc) for $295 NZ.
                      Thats about $150 US!

Comment

Arrrggghhh!

<br>
                        I can't find my darn photos on this. I had the whole darn set. Badge, mini, insert card, tissue wrapped, boxed with a booklet and instructions on how to complete the very large and elaborate "award" document that came with it when purchased. The only thing missing from it was the bill of sale.
                        aaarrrggghhh!

Comment

I like them

I realize these are unofficial "vanity" awards, but I've always liked them. Way back when when I started collecting German "stuff" I had a couple of these, one with an interesting award document to a Navy chap, which was quite nice.

Although certainly not rare and not official I've always liked the look of them and found them to be of overall quite good quality construction, with nice enamel.

I think the others are right, 90 quid seems overpriced. If you want one be patient and you'll find a nice one for far less.

My two denarii worth

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X