Unfinished woundbadge brass sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel,
    Do you think that from this step in the process, the "hand trimming" was by way of a steel cookie cutter type piece that followed the outline shape of the badge that could accomplish the final cut and shape with a couple of hammer blows? I ask this because I have seen some Imp. wb's that have traces of shear marks.

Comment

I have not checked mine. It is very possible that this could be done, but a second die for this purpose would be required. An iron cross with it's relatively straight edges would be much easier to do by hand than a wound badge. A jewelers saw with it's fine blade in a trained hand could also do it. Think of a coping saw as a jewelers saw on lots of steroids.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Murphy
        I have not checked mine. It is very possible that this could be done, but a second die for this purpose would be required. An iron cross with it's relatively straight edges would be much easier to do by hand than a wound badge. A jewelers saw with it's fine blade in a trained hand could also do it. Think of a coping saw as a jewelers saw on lots of steroids.
        Wow...I didn't realize that so much work went into what appears to be a very simple badge. I have searched for, but not found any period photos of wound badges being worked/finished from Imperial times. In addition to the badges yhemselves, i hope to be able to add a die, and photos of these in production.....I just find these little badges fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Murphy
          A jewelers saw with it's fine blade in a trained hand could also do it. Think of a coping saw as a jewelers saw on lots of steroids.
          Well, "by hand" is relative. In most cases it was like a scroll saw with a round blade. Here are EK2 being cut out. Someone on this Forum posted these and I wanted to give credit for the photo, but I cannot find the thread so I hope my using the photo is forgiven. Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X