Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Ernst Schaumburg

Another photo of a General I need some infos:

This one shows Generalleutnant Ernst Schaumburg, commander of the 225th infantry division. The photo is an original wartime print, the dedication most likely made after the war.

I have two questions.

First I would need more infos like birth, death and all available dates and records about the General.

Second may sound silly to You Imperial guys, but I am not sure - is it a PLM he is wearing ? I can not see the ribbon and not the blue enamel, just a reflection of light on the photo ?

The dedication reads: To my war-comrades of the 225th infantry division, Schaumburg, Generalleutnant.

Thanks in advance
    Robert

Born 13 November 1880 in Coblenz, he died in Hamburg in 1947-- so chances are EXTREMELY good this was a WARTIME signed photo. (His rank on those boards is Generalmajor, so photo actually taken ?ca 1935?)

Schaumburg was that most unusual of creatures-- an OVERdecorated officer who did not WEAR all the items he was entitled too! It appears that he is wearing ONLY the four Prussian awards he got on the same "Iron Cross" ribbon: EK2, HHOX, REO4X, and CO4X.

He served in the army from 20.3.1899-31.10.1943, from 1904 to 1910 in the Schutztruppen German Southwest Africa, where, in addition to the 1904-06 campaign medal (bars unknown to me) he racked up a Red Eagle Order 4th with Swords, Crown Order 4th with Xs, Reuss (Older Line) Honor Cross 3rd X, and Schwarzburg Honor Cross 3rd X.

Leutnant

Oberleutnant

Hauptmann 1.10.13 B30b, serving in 2nd Guard Regiment of Foot (GRzF) in 1914.

Major 1.7.21 #13

Oberstleutnant 1.11.27 #4

Oberst

Generalmajor

char. Generalleutnant 20.4.35

etc

during WW1 he got: EKs 1 & 2, Prussian Hohenzollern House Order X (gazetted in MWB 22.3.17), and POUR LE MERITE 21 April 1918. Also: silver wound badge, Saxe-Ernestine House Order-Knight 1st X, and Hamburg Hanseatic Cross.

He was Commandant of Berlin 1.2.33-31.1.37, appointed Commander of 225th Infantry Division 1 September 1939, then was Commandant of Paris 1 August 1940 to 1 May 1943.

That's just a brief first pass through!

Comment

Schaumberg

Robert,

Hauptmann Ernst von Schaumburg won his PLM as the battalion commander of II./ Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 64 as part of the 1.Garde-Reserve-Division during the spring offensives in France in early 1918. He commanded this battalion from 23 Sep 1915 until the end of the war.

Regards
      Glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X