the visit of Wilhelm II in Turkey 1889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the visit of Wilhelm II in Turkey 1889

Here is a bar from a marine-officer visiting the turkish Sultan in 1889 with Wilhelm II. and wearing the inofficial medal for this journey.

Best regards

Werner
    Attached Files

... and here is the medal - sorry it's a scan of a photo...
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Werner,

nice bar, but the medal is official; authorized by W2 himself!

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Hmm, my Semi-Evil Twin has an Old Style Ribbon Bar as well as a medal bar that could well have belonged to this officer earlier (awards taken off the bar) which the Good Ricky scanned. If he can't find his copies, I'll post them.

What are the odds of finding one of these Turkish medals?

Comment

Hmm, Semi-Evil Twin appears to be having some sort of "life" elsewhere, so I will post his 1889 Turkish Visit stuff, scanned by moi.
          Attached Files

Comment

Probably belonged to an army officer, since the navy doesn't seem to have liked the honking great Old Style ribbon bars used before--in this case VERY before--1916. This very neat fellow unmounted his awards from his previous medal bar when he got something else-- probably his XXV Cross, and likewise nicely saved his old Old Style ribbon bar from before he got his REO.

Although there are HOOKS on the back of the ribbon bar, as worn by enlisted ranks as full dress, the parade mounting of the full medal bar was NOT allowed for noncomissioned officers that far back, so presumably either the maker (oh, not Godet, surely!) screwed up and used the wrong hardware... or the officer ASKED for hooks in case he needed to improvise "full medals" in the field for some visting Pasha.

Collectors like nice tidy thoughtful persons such as this!
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X