Any Sport medal experts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Sport medal experts out there?

I like this one simply because I was able to obtain it for the princely sum of $3.50! It and the case as well are in stone mint condition.
    As far as I can tell it was a national award given to a woman. The obverse has the Weimar eagle with the letters 'BDR', or Bund Deutsches Republik' (?). The ribbon of course reflects the colors of the national flag at the time. The broach assembly is stamped 'RGM 37734.'

The reverse was where I got caught. It reads, 'Meisterschaft von Deutschland ueber 1 Km. 1928.' Now, the really neat thing is the hallmark on the lower portion. It reads, '585 G.Loos Gold.'

Anyone seen anything like this before? What was it given for, exactly? Horsemanship, rowing, running?

Anyways, it is pretty interesting to me.
    Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 09-01-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

case interior

Comment

It's a bicycle racing medal. That's the logo of the Bund deutscher Radfahrer.

Comment

Sweet!

A national gold medal for biking!

Thanks, man. Rick L. was right. You are the best!

p.s. Can I find the approx. (over)value in a Huesken book?

Now the next thing is: which sexy German woman won this?

Comment

Marlene Dietrich?

Comment

Hüsken lists a half dozen BDR awards but they're all for the national organization (long service pins versus this type of competition medal). The ones he lists catalog at DM120-180. While the German market might support that, I find it hard to believe that many militaria collectors in the U.S. would pay anything near that for any of them.

In estimating the value, keep in mind that while this was for a national competition, it was one sponsored by a civil organization (and one of several holding this type of competition).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X