Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Cross 2nd class,next of kin??

Hello,
    could someone tell me if such a medal exists,or is the person selling it confusing it with the non-combatant variety?
    Kind regards,
    Andy

No such thing as a Next Of Kin version Iron Cross. There WAS a Next Of Kin HINDENBURG Cross.

Comment

Agreed

I agree with Rick on this point. There were varies different ribbons that were attached to the EK for wear by people other then the receiptant. The excate purpose of the ribbon is unknown in my opinion. See pic below.
      Attached Files
      Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Doesnt the bow ribbon signify an award to a female? I don't know of any specific 1914 recipients but given the vast # awarded there were certainly some. I know of Clara Barton who was awarded the 1870 EKII, and Hanna Reitsch who was awarded both 1939 EKII and 1939 EKI.

Best wishes,
        John Harman

Comment

actually...

Clara Barton did not get the EK-she got a related award but wore it mistakeny on the EK ribbon. See Privetera's book on the Iron Cross.
          There's a lot of debate about these EKs on bows. I have several pixs-which, when i have mastered the "size" issue, I shall post showing grooms wearing these. I also have a photo of a "gold star" mother (maybe an elderly Witwe) @1937 wearing an EK2 on a bow along with a next of kin HK (2 sep. medals).
          I have seen no evidence that any women were awarded EKs in WW1, although some of the nurses and volunteers certainly were very brave.
          Cheers,
          JeMc

Comment

Another reason I need to get that book . Thanks Jeff!

Best regards,
            John Harman

Comment

The Iron Times

Yes! It is the best darn book on the EK. It covers all EKs from 1813 through 1957. Winidore Press is a sponsor of this site so just click on the link below. The book is well worth the price.
              Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X