Opinions on Medalbar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Medalbar?

This medalbar was up for auction on ebay and just recently ended. I was very much interested in it as it's quite a special combination. The setup looks very convincing but I was a bit worried about the felt backing. I would think that there would be some sort of stitching in plain view but I can't really see any. Pictures are sometimes very hard to judge and things sometimes appear differently than the actually are. It almost looks like the backing was attached in some other fashion - maybe even with glue. What do you guys think? Did I make a wise choice to save my money or did I just let a good thing slip away?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I am not sure about the backing, but the rest looks ok for me. What was the last price for that bar?

Comment

looks good

Hello ,

THis bar indeed looks quite good and I would have no problem in owning this one ( as the 25 Years Oak leaf clusters are attached towards the EK 2 1870 => the bar was probably made up around the changing of the century ( from around 1900 ) and that might explain the fashion of how the awards where attached, backing material, etc .. )

Just my humble opinion

Cordial Greetings,
      my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

hmmmm

As a note of caution, i saw this too and thought four things:
        1. the oaks are rather shiny compared to the rest of the piece-and compared to many others I have see.
        2. Where is the 1897 medal?
        3. The battle bars look a tad new. The last item however isn't as worrying to me as the first two, since the bars had variations.
        4. that looks like new red felt on the back.
        If in doubt-pass, especially on e-bay; that's my philosophy.
        Anybody else think the same or am I way wrong here?

Rick? Rick?
        cheers,
        JeMc

Comment

Yup

Bastlerzeug? Vielleicht! Auf meiner Meinung auch.......Entwieder?
          Oder?!?

I could be wrong, though. It might be a nice umgebautes example from the teens or twens. I'm sure a few gents had their bars redone. Nice pics!

Comment

From the style of pin, hook, and catch, I'd say this was a 1930s 1914 EK2 and Hindenburg Cross bar that was "retrofitted."

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. Generally, it looks like a nice bar. But given the fact that it is probably much newer than the medals represent and that there are so many caveats, I'm glad I steered clear of this one. As always, I really appreciate all the knowledge and lessons you guys have to offer.

Thanks again,
              Brian

Comment

--For the record, I can see the threading attaching the backing - particularly in the upper left hand corner.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X