No announcement yet.

EK Spange 1870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verso. The hallmark is on the reverse of the spange and is hidden by the slide bar. Very odd.

Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

It is about impossible to photograph the hallmark of Jos Wagner. I can barely read it with the narrow opening. I have attached a photo the best I can do.

Bob Hritz
      Attached Files

Comment

Bob

From the obverse features (pebbling) of yours, I am fairly certain that you will find your piece is marked 'Joh Wagner & Sohn/crown moon 800 Berlin.W' on the reverse under the slide bar.

These are the obverse features that will help you identify if this is so...(click the image to expand it)

[IMG][/IMG]

Mine was marked under the bar, but also had the same mark ON the slide bar itself...(so good, they marked it twice )

[IMG][/IMG]

This is not the type referenced in the article above, but it IS the type that due to it's appearance on ebay on an almost weekly basis we can be FAIRLY certain is either being prolifically (and very well) copied, or is indeed simply a modern copy itself.

No-one (here) knows for sure.

Marshall

Comment

Hello Marshall,

I have attached an enlargement for your comparison.

Bob Hritz
          Attached Files

Comment

I realize now that I over reacted when I first saw this article few days ago, but it never occured to me that it was "old news" since I haven't seen the article before. Sorry about that.
            Antti

Comment

HI Bob

Yes - yours is indeed the same... I would bet money there is a 'moon crown and 800' on the back under the maker mark.

Thankyou for posting it - and sadly, like all of us in this club, it now simply becomes a matter of whether you yourself are comfortable with your piece and its source.

best regards

Marshall
              Attached Files

Comment

...read, understand the words...

The crux of his article is that a lot of copies of the spange appeared on the market in the 1970's, and a close examination of them reveals that they are castings - rounded corners and edges, rather than the sharp edges of a die-struck piece, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                  ...read, understand the words...

And these ones....

Originally posted by Biro
                  ...This is not the type referenced in the article above...etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Biro
                    [IMG][/IMG]

This is not the type referenced in the article above, but it IS the type that due to it's appearance on ebay on an almost weekly basis we can be FAIRLY certain is either being prolifically (and very well) copied, or is indeed simply a modern copy itself.
                    Marshall
                    Looking forward to actually seeing those eBay auctions. Maybe you could past the links here for us on a weekly basis?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                      Looking forward to actually seeing those eBay auctions. Maybe you could past the links here for us on a weekly basis?

You're having a dig of course... ...but the idea is actually a sound one.

It may just throw up a pattern..

http://www.militaria321.com/auction_...tionID=5147000

M

Comment

No dig. If it's junk then so be it. But the one you just posted is too small to ID. Need better photos from seller before we chalk up a hit.

Comment

Ok, so it's been a month - not a week - since the last one.... but this time we are not dissapointed.

Here we have - in good close-up shots - the 'cats paw' WHS and the 'glowing 9th Bead' 1870 EK2..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iron-Cross-2nd-c...QQcmdZViewItem

By far the most common set-up for this ensemble.

I'll shut up now..

M
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X