Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about this EK1? (Many pictures)

Hi folks,

I did not post for a long period of time, sorry. But now, I'd like to hear your opinions about this EKconfused:

The frontside:

Front Details:

More Details

The Backside:

And backside details:

What do you think about it? The size is 43 x 43 mm, the frame has unfortunately been polished and the core looks like Tombak although it is highly magnetic.

Do you suppose it to be good?

Comment

I wonder why a manufacturer would use that eight-ring attaching method when newer ones ( i.e., pinback and screwback methods) were available which were more efficient and practical?
      George

Comment

Just some thoughts-------
        1)I have never seen the double acorn makers mark before
        2)The marks were stamped very hard. hard enough to deform the backplate
        3)There is still alot of discoloration of the areas where the rings were soldered.
        4)My guess that this is from the picture taking but the arms appear to be out of shape.
        5)What George said.

Comment

Hi,

The more I look at this, the more I think it is a "component" cross. The obverse (beaded) frame looks good - probably an authentic component. The core may be good as well - strange colour though and the crown makes me think more 30s/40s.

The backplate though I think is a complete mock-up. The rings appear to be set into slots cut into the backplate - very unusual. Also, as pointed out, there are heat burn marks around the rings - not a typical attachment method. The inner corners of the backplate are "rounded" whereas the inner corners of the beaded obverse frame are typically sharp/pointed. On all the edges I can see, the fit of the frames is poor with relatively large gaps filled with a dark ?solder. Basically, the fit is poor quality. The markings (aside from being unusual - what it that on the right, an elephant?) as mentioned above are so heavy they have dented the backplate and imo were applied while the backplate was a separate piece.

Imo, it's a poor mock-up meant to fleece EK1 vairant collectors. I would not have it.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

What I see is that this EK is modified to make it something it never was.

Good front and core. Too bad it got botched up. The core looks to be either copper or copper plated.

IMO The back plate was stamped when the EK was assembled as the metal around those 'marks' is pushed in. Usually a sign that the backing plate was not backed up solid when stamping these unknown marks. the copper core may be a sheetmetal stamping instead of cast.

The color around the rings is not heat damage but looks more like heat glazed flux residue that was not removed. Standard jewlers proceedure after soldering is to pickle or otherwise clean up to make the finished job presentable and professional looking.

Just some thoughts from my corner of the playpen.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X