Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight Observer's Camera Equipment?

hi all,

Does anyone have any further information regarding these items?

I bought them some time ago as WW1 aviation items.

As far as I can tell the documents relate to altitude etc.
    in relation to photographic coverage and I presume they were for reconnaisance purposes.

No dates or unit are visible although a signiature is visible.

The case is made of a material similar to canvas and has a belt loop.

Regards,
    Robert.
    Attached Files

The canvas bag.
    Attached Files

Comment

Document 1.
      Attached Files

Comment

Document 2.
        Attached Files

Comment

Document 3.
          Attached Files

Comment

Document 4.
            Attached Files

Comment

Document 5.
              Attached Files

Comment

The documents look like they are from the period and appear to be used to decipher codes on maps and to interpret ground signals from the infantry. I do know the German infantry were issued cloth panels to be laid out on the ground to signal to aircaft (we are holding this line, etc.). Many of the emblems on these docs look like they could be made from one or more of these cloth panels. As far as the film packs, you have not stated how large they are. Most aerial cameras of the day were very large and the photos made from them are usually made as contact prints, i.e. same size as the negative. I have quite a few German aerial photos (at least 70 or so) I acquired many years ago that are about 5X7 inches. I also have an album of aerial photos from the Grand Tranchee near Combles that was used to plan attacks by higher headquarters. These photos are about at least 9X12. If your film holders are in this size range, I would say they are from an aerial camera since they came with the docs. If not they could be from the officers private camera. Are there any markings on them such as a film maker (Agfa, etc.) or camera brand, etc.?
                Dan Murphy

Comment

Thanks for the help Daniel

Each plate measures 5 ins x 8 ins in total. The inner area is 6 ins x 4 ins.

The plates are idententical on either side and each face is numbered sequentially e.g. faces 1 and 2 for the first plate, 2 and 3 for the second etc.

There are no markings on the plates except for some unclear pencil writing on the small white sections.

Regards,
                  Robert
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would say that since they are in the ballpark size wize that there are no markings that they are military. Civilian plate holders would normally have a camera brand name or a film co. name on them. back atcha
                    Dan Murphy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X