Pickelhauben help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickelhauben help

I would like to get the proper chin strap and one kokarde to complete this helmet, The kokarde that is there is not the best so I am not looking for mint but I don't want someone's junk either. absolutly no repo stuff!

If you spike guys think I am wasteing my money on this let me know, also what helmet is this?

If you can help me please send a pic and a price.

Thanks,

Eric

Hello Eric,

This is an enlisted man's Ersatz spiked helmet, worn from 1915-1917.
    The wearer was in one of the regiments of the prussian guard: Garde-Regiment zu Fuss 1-5, Garde-Füsilier-Regiment, Lehr-Infanterie-Regiment, Garde-Grenadier-Regiment 1-5, Garde-Infanterie-Regiment 6-7, Garde-Reserve-Regiment 1-2, RIR 201-202. If I'm not mistaken, all these regiments had the prussian grenadier eagle with the star of the Black Eagle Order ('Suum Cuique').
    Are there stamps in the helmet? These could be regimental or corps: BAG (Bekleidungsamt Gardekorps) and the year and also the measure.

The helmet looks fine on the picture, you can see the helmet plate was on the helmet for a long time (it left an impression on the leather).

I strongly advise you to leave the kokarde. Originals are extremely rare to find! The one on the helmet looks pretty old though.

However, one must have the helmet in his hands to be absolutely sure about originality...

Jan

Comment

Jan,

thanks for the info, originality is not a problem, I bought this at a country auction 20years ago for $40. I also got the gentleman's two uniforms and a German belt and buckle for one dollar. My relatives knew him and he was a WWI vet.

I never had the intention of getting rid of the kokarde on it currently. I just want to complete this helmet if possible without spending a bunch of money on it.

Inside the helmet is penciled the number 4. stamped on the rear bill is a mark that looks like KB&G 1916. not sure about the innitials

Thanks,

Eric

Comment

Bigger please!

Eric,
        Locating an original chinstrap will be exceptionally difficult as they are not attractive enough to survive on their own. Having a replica chinstrap on one of these is not frowned upon, it is so common. Original Kokarden are relatively common, as they look interesting and survived in shoe-boxes of veteran's souvenirs. To echo what Jan said, there is nothing wrong with that Kokarde on the helmet. If it is original to the Haube, I would say keep it there. A few observations on this Haube if I may:

1. The spike is obviously a mismatch to the rest of the helmet. Yes, these were throw together in Quartermaster stores without regard for a collector in 2003 and appears to be absolutely correct for the helmet, but still it is a mismatch. I had a similar problem with an Artillery M15, greenish fittings and a grey ball. It took me 10 years to find a ball to match the rest of the helmet.

2. For some reason, the rear spine does not have the M1895 sliding rear vent. (?) I have no explanation for this, other than the spine could have been off a tin Ersatz M15 helmet which often do not have the rear vent. Again, it looks original to this helmet, but it is VERY unusual.

3. Last, make sure you take care of that liner. That brown color on the lower edge indicates the beginning of dry-rot.

Good luck with it, Tony http://www.kaisersbunker.com

PS. Could you get a bigger scan next time? I could not quite make out the hairs in the nose of the eagle's beak. Ha!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X