Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaiser's uniform ???

Hello All,

Here is one for you.... What do you think ?

I had an option on this a while back but thought of too many inconsistancies....

Tell me what you think ??

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hi Mark,
                  Whoo-eee. More than this impoverished collector can afford with my paltry Canadian Peso.

Have you contacted Haus Doorn in Holland or the Wehrgeschtliches Museum in Rastatt to ask about similar markings in his Waffenrock that they own? If the Waffenrock is original, then I cannot believe that a huge, poorly embroidered, identification tag is original to the tunic. Added by a later collector or museum perhaps, but it simply does not match the quality of the tunic, nor would a man of Wilhem's intellect need to be reminded of what unit the tunic belonged to. If anything, I would expect to see a tailor's label from C.W. Bochert Berlin?

The cap appears to be what you would expect to see. Beautiful. But? Regardless, knowing what you have in your fine collection already, I assume that you would not even look at this without providence the size of the Toronto telephone book. Assuming it is original, it would be an amazing grouping. Tony http://www.kaisersbunker.com

Comment

Hey Tony,

Actually I debated over this for almost a month.....

The interior tag does not really concern me because... I would doubt that the Kaiser packed his own luggage and If he was off to the Bavarian Court I'm sure his stewards would want to make sure he was wearing the right uniform... So for a simple ID of the unit (can you imagine how many unifroms he had.. must be 100's)...

what I did not like was the size of the shoulderboards.... Every picture/postcard etc I have seen of Willie shows MASSIVE shoulderboards that even pass the shoulder seam... These came up short....

I was also not too sure about the cypher on the boards....

I attempted to contact Haus Doorm on numerous occasions and they never returned to call/e-mail......

Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

Not even when something MIGHT have been pinched from them????!!!!!

Where else would such a uniform have come from?

Are they selling off bits and pieces and ashamed to admit it, or so incredibly stupid they don't check their inventories when specific items are pointed out to them?

I cannot IMAGINE how such a uniform could have floated around all these decades without having come from there--one way... or the other!!!

What on earth is the documentation for provenence and legal title for sale on this????????

Comment

Hey Rick,

It is my understanding that they do sell off items from time to time (to cover the overhead)... And most of his uniforms are no longer on display but rather in the attic....

Just take a look at Kube's auction... it seems that every catalog has a few of the Kaiser's items in it... I went through some from 10 years ago and there quite a few uniforms, caps and shoulderboards....

Story on this one was that it came from a collector in Germany over 30 years ago......

Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Hmmm......

Interesting Mark. What are you going to do? It sounds like you have doubt; and my motto (a hard lesson learned from when I collected Nazeee stuff years back) is if there is even 1% doubt I pass on the item. I sleep better at nights. You are correct with the shoulder boards, I looked at some photos and postcards, the boy DID like the big honkin' boards. These do appear small. The embroidery on the tag still puzzles me. I collect Imperial German cloth shoulder straps for Mannschaft (Other Ranks), I probably have well over 200 or so, not a one has such sloppy and crude embroidery. Even a Private's embroidery on a strap is superb, tight, crisp, clean. This label is just so...........bad?

Rick, I have seen dozens of Wilhelm's tunics and caps for sale over the years. Rastatt as well as Doorn auction some off now and then, they must have many they deem surplus. I wish I could afford to obtain a visor cap. T

Comment

Hey Tony,

I have already passed on the group (about 4 months ago)...

However, this post was to confirm my issues or to let me know I was an idiot by passing on the group... So far.... it sounds like passing on the group was the right thing to do !

Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X