Pickelhaube price question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickelhaube price question

Is $450 too much to pay for a Prussian enlisted man's Pickelhaube in very good condition?
    Also, although I'm fairly certain this one is genuine, is there anything I should look out for as far as copies?
    Thanks!

George
    George

Pickelhaube

George and all ...

Where is a good source for a Prussian pickelhaube as George describes?

My great-great grandfather was in the Prussian Army in the Franco-Prussian War. He subsequently moved to the USA to escape war. I would like to have one of these in memory of him.

My best,

Mike Heuer

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Price Etc.

Hello, Pricewise it sounds OK, they seem to cost more over in UK, something like the one you describe could fetch £350-400. Check that there are no additional holes inside, behind the helmet plate, indicating a changed plate. If the plate is raised from the surface of the helmet skull, (Natural shrinkage), look to see if the plate has left a mark on the surface. Have you had a chance to handle it ?

Comment

Newlyn,

Thanks for the tips!
        Yes, I've seen it, and I'll look for the features you mentioned when I see it again.

George
        George

Comment

chinstraps and cockades are quite commonly reproduced as replacement/repair pieces-- but it is not unknown for the Less Than Honorable to take off good parts and replace them.

Tony MUST have pages on his website for these.

Up to (?) 1905-ish, enlisted men had the same (almost) metal scale chinstrap covers as officers--lesser quality. Then along came the leather with square buckles chinstraps.

Aren't there usually regimental stamps in these?

Mike, finding a correct 1870 vintage spike helmet will be extremely difficult and vastly more expensive. The ones floating around in common (ha) supply are the Model of (?) 1897, worn into WW1. Very different construction and details in 1870.

That concludes my entire "knowledge" of spiked helmets!

Comment

$450 sounds as a good price. I checked Weitze's site for pickelhaubes and he sells nothing under €750 and most ones over €1000.

Comment

Haube Help

George, have a look at the helmets on my site, here http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/ for pre war and here http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/ for wartime. That should help you decide on this helmet you are thinking about. Mike, as Rick pointed out, there are vast differences between Model 1860s used in the Franco-Prussian war and the relatively common M1895s. Have a look at this page to see the differences between the patterns. http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pe/pe.htm Good luck to you both Tony

Comment

Thanks Tony. This example looks a lot like the one on your site, right down to the army group number on the inside of the visor. I'll keep everybody posted.
                (Nice fantasy, by the way )

George
                George

Comment

Error Error Error

Placing my two cents in this discussion (.005 cents Canadian) worked out good for me..................it seems that each window on my essay on the evolution of Mannschaft Pickelhauben, which has been up for over a year
                  http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pe/pe.htm showing the "Side & Liner " for the M1860, M1867, M1871, M1891, M1895, and M1915 helmets did not have the side pictures showing the profiles. I goofed, forgot to put the side pictures in. Now it is fixed, the side profiles are there. Thanks to Jeff for pointing out the error. Tony
                  Last edited by Tony & Kaiser; 12-29-2002, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Keeping you posted as promised

I decided to get it, and here it is.

Now all I need is Heather!

George
                    George

Comment

"Now all I need is Heather"

You and me both. What a nice looking Haube. For a chamge, the M91 strap looks to be original. Way to go! Tony
                      http://www.kaisersbunker.com

Comment

Excellent

What nice clean pickelhaube ! That skull is in super condition, congratulations, a great find, you don't see a lot in that condition these days.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X