1870 Iron Cross 2nd Class - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 Iron Cross 2nd Class - Opinions

Here is an 1870 Iron Cross 2nd Class that a friend picked up and would like coments as to it's originality.
    Attached Files

REVERSE

Reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

Dear Bill,
      From what I can see of your scan's,your friends cross appears to come up with full marks.
      My only question is,were the photo's of the cross taken squarely?For it appears that one side has been "lowered or crushed'thus leading to it''s non square appearance.
      IF this cross is not completely square,your friend should still not have cause to worry as this has been a noticeable feature on some 1870's and even 1914 EK's.
      The retaining ring of your friend's cross also seem's to be soldered to the flat edge (to which I have noticed some collector's take as a good sign),though I remain unconvinced.
      The numeral,letter,crown and oakleaf depth also appear consistent,along with the ribbing and the outer"step".
      Look's good to me.
      Regards:Andrew

Comment

Hard to tell from a photo, but I agree that it's probably good. It has that "Godet" look seen on some 1870 Godet EK1's. (wide frame and smallish W, with an elongated "1870")

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X