Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture found in the flea market

Hello my friends,

I found this simple picture during a fast visit in a local flea market. I really enjoyed this one , with all the M16 helmets, Mausers G98 and handgranades, and decided to share with you.

Regards,

Douglas.

I love it! Great detail on uniforms and equiptment. I'd like to see them,again, after they been in the trenches for a few days. It is a great picture with them all polished and pressed. Thanks for sharing.
    Steven

Comment

Douglas,
      That is a great photo. Since this regiment was raised in 1917, I am surprised that they all are wearing jackboots and appear to be so well kitted out. These men are in a rear area and have probably just completed their stormtroop training. The grenades are all smoke grenades with the holes in them, these were used for training. The man on the extreme left is wearing an M 18 helmet, all of the others are 16's or 17's. That pretty much dates the picture to probably early to mid 1918. Many people do not realize that late in the war every regiment was to have one company designated as an assault company. Since they would always be in the hardest fighting, most of these men probably did not survive the war. I do not want to hijack the thread, but would you mind if I posted a few similar pictures?
      Dan Murphy
      Last edited by Daniel Murphy; 12-18-2005, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Murphy
        I do not want to hijack the thread, but would you mind if I posted a few similar pictures?
        Dan Murphy
        Dan,

Please, do not hesitate to post your pictures! I´m sure that we all would like to see them.

And thanks a lot for all the information you and Steven posted here!

Douglas.

Comment

Here is the first, the assault unit of the 10th company of Reserve Infantry Regiment 247. These men are preparing for or have just particpated in an assault at Neuve Chappelle in August of 1916. Notice that the only one with shoulder straps is the Leutnant at left. Yes, he has officer boards but enlisted equipment. All of them have this white cloth strip either pinned or buttoned around them. This would have been used by observers to mark their progress during the attack. Many have shovels tucked into their belts for use in hand to hand combat and numerous wire cutters are also displayed. There are also several different types of ersatz pickelhauben shown with the standard 1895 pattern that is worn by most. Enjoy,
          Dan Murphy

Last edited by Daniel Murphy; 12-18-2005, 11:26 PM.

Comment

In this one, which has been published before, a regimental assault unit uses a MG Cart to move a mortar up to the front. Perhaps taken during training.
            Dan Murphy

Comment

This is another original of mine. The Kaiser and one of his generals reviewing an assault unit. Interestingly the carbines the men carry are slung and are not in the presentation position. As you can see all of them carry trench knives and not much else.
              Dan Murphy

Comment

I have one more post after this, but this is the last card. It is a postcard that was sold to benefit the German Red Cross during huh? WW2?
                Dan Murphy

Comment

If a Stormtrooper fought well and survived he might get this.
                  Dan Murphy

This is the only original stormtrooper EK2 document I have ever seen. He survived the war and I have his EK 2 and Honor Cross with Swords.

Comment

Great Photos chaps.
                    bob L. will love seeing this thread.
                    Attached Files

Comment

close up:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Picture found in the flea market

Dan murphy I am ashamed of you not putting this picture up!

Picture of the Stosstruppe for the Second Battalion of Infanterie Regiment Nr. 459. They were part of the lead elements for the Michael Offensive.

Tchuss,
                        Max Stiebritz
                        8K/IR459

Comment

Max,
                          I thought about it, but decided only to post photos that I own. Besides, if I had, you would not have found a reason to reply to this thread .
                          Dan Murphy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X