Red Cross Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Cross Bar

Here's my first Red Cross medal bar The Red Cross medal is zinc. What year did they start making these from zinc? I hear these refered to as medics bars a lot. Besides medics who would have been eligible for this combination? Thanks for your input
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

A fascinating combination.

The RCmedal3 was awarded not only for services to the Red Cross but also for donations. One sees them awarded to all sorts of non-Medical types in the ranklists. Despite that, it wasn't that common to award it outside the Red Cross.
      There are a LOT of WW1 photos with Red Cross uniformed volunteers wearing this medal-and a few with the EK2 as well. If I had to guess, I'd reckon some sort of Army Doctor/medic or Red Cross man. If we could tell it was post 1935 then we'd be able to narrow it down to Red Cross only.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the information Jeff I was thinking a officer doctor would have had a RAO or Crown order

Comment

REO-only apre-war Arzt. There were thousands of M.D.s drawn into the army during WW1 and many of them got nothing at all during the entire war.

The zinc ones were made/awarded from @ Summer 1917-1919. After the war these were made of white metal with a teardrop configuration.
          Last edited by McCulloh; 12-07-2005, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X