Research help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research help

Well, many of you may remember that my wife's family is from Germany, but no one in her family ever did anything interesting. Until I found her great-uncle was a Gebirgsjaeger. And now I unearthed a letter from her grandfather with the following information. Yes, I have her mom looking for the items mentioned...

Any help identifying what is detailed or where to look for more is of great interest!
    ---------------
    Written by my wife's grandfather:

My father was Max Emil Ganzauge, owner of a prosperous Kachel Stove and Tile Plant (likely in Chemnitz). He was born in 1864 and died in 1936. His wife was Marie Martha Biehle who gave him 2 daughters and 2 sons, of which I was the youngest.

My grandfather was Theodore Rudolf Ganzauge, born 17 Jan 1823, died in 1887. He was alaso in the ceramic business. His wife was Rosine Eva Wagner from Skupitz in Bohemia. She was a Catholic but converted.

(Info on the below unit needed)

My great grandfather was Johann Gottlieb Ganzauge, born 2 Feb 1773. He served as Fourier in the KSI Regiment Prinz Maximillian under Captain von Schlegel with Napoleon in the war with Russia. He was awarded some medals and a silver watch which I still have. ( ) After the war of 1812 he was an arithmetic teacher and married Auguste Frederike Wurstling 15 Sep 1814.

My great-great grandfather was Johann Georges Ganzauge, a noble city councelor and court official. Later he was a tax collector. He married Frederike Amalia Truve, daughter of the merchant John August Truve on 9 April 1770.

My great-great-great grandfather was Johann George Ganzauge, a wealthy landowner in Dittsmannsdorf near Freiberg. No detaails.

-------------
    Well, I think I did OK in unearthing this. Now if only we can find the trinkets!
    Marc

The unit designation probably mean Royal Saxon Infantry Regiment Prince Maximillian. I hope this helps,
    Dan Murphy

Comment

Thanks, what is KSI?
      Marc

Comment

Try Glenn J.

K="Koniglich" or "royal" (there's an umlaut in there too).
        I think they are Saxon Stammlisten going back that far and maybe, just maybe, Glenn J. has copies. You may be able to find which company Hauptmann Schlegel commanded. Nafzifer published a very complete order of battle for 1812 a few years ago and that also may help.
        The Saxon infantry wore white uniforms in the French style and Regt. Maximillian had yellow facings and yellow buttons.
        The Saxons sent 30,000 troops into Russia in 1812 including eight infantry regiments & some very good cavalry units. The Chevaulegers saved the Grand Armee by repeated charges at the Beresina river crossing.
        Most served in the VII corps., thereby escaping the severe mauling most of the rest of Napoleon's troops received. However, your ancestor was in the 34th Division of the 11th Army Corps under Marshal Augerau (commanded by General D' Division Loison).
        Augerau commanded the northern German garrison (watching the Prussians) and it is possible your ancestor never left Germany in 1812, at least not as a member of Regt. Maximillian. Some detachments were sent in the Fall and Winter into Russia and by December the 11th corps had troops in operations against the Russians around Vilna. Later they formed a screen behind which the remnants of the Grand armee reformed.
        Some Saxon reinforcements were led by King Freidrich August himself during the latter part of the retreat. They encountered the desperate Grand Armee' outside Smolensk and immediately turned around and headed for Prussia.
        The best book on this is Paul Britten Austins, "The Great Retreat".
        Perhaps your ancestor was one of the first awarded the St. Henry's medal? Certainly, had he lived long enough, he would have qualified for the French St. Helena medal.
        Last edited by McCulloh; 11-14-2005, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Marc,
          It's amasing to me to be able to trace your familiy back so far. I can not get back any farther then my grandparents.
          Good luck with your search.

Comment

Thanks guys - all the info is of great help. Keep it coming!
            Marc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X