Orden of the black eagle.

Hi,
    this is more like PLM or similar medal?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Order-of-the-Bla...QQcmdZViewItem

Originally posted by admiral
    Hi,
    this is more like PLM or similar medal?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Order-of-the-Bla...QQcmdZViewItem
    I'm not one of the experts here but I'll respond as best I can. As I understand it, the Order of the Black Eagle was the Kingdom of Prussia's highest order of knighthood. It would be way above the PLM as far as social precedence, I believe.

Based on the price of this particular medal on eBay, I would hazard a guess that it is a fake or reproduction A real one would cost much, much more than that. In the 1999-2000 Nimmergut catalog this medal, without the sash or cordon, is listed at (in gold) about 10,225 Euros or 14,280 Canadian dollars. In silver gilt at about 2,950 Euros or 4,141 Canadian dollars.
    Last edited by Mike Dwyer; 11-09-2005, 07:44 PM.

Comment

It may be a copy, but if it is, it's a d*mn good copy. I love the description he must have copied it from a wargamer site

This medal will be awarded to a pilot upon their 100th aerial victory.
      Dan Murphy

Comment

decoration

Perhaps someone can educate me in regard to this item. Although my expertise is not Prussian orders, I would have assessed this decoration as a period piece. Can you advise me as to what attributes make the previous author feel that this is incorrect (other than the price of course)

Thank you in advance

Brad LeMay

Comment

Just one of those known copies. Here is the real deal. Wagner made GOLD, "W" mark....all the way to the end in 1918.

By the way, the weight is always the give away. The fakes are always to heavy by at least 10 grams.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the replay. Anyway the medal is very nice.I just get pictures from the seller.The sash is also very big. 5days left. I thing,the price will be hight.
            But not for my valet.

Comment

Fake is Fake !!!

Comment

Run!

Hi Admiral,

The key points have been made.

1. This is a copy and a darned good one at that. Darned good! A nice display piece but nothing more.

2. If it isn’t gold, it isn’t good.

3. The real thing should sell for $10,000+

Finally, where did they come up with this story about an award for 100 kills? Unless you need a display filler, go for an Olympic record in the 100 meter dash - run!

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X