German Ulan Lances? Scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Ulan Lances? Scans

Hi guys, attached are 2 scans of "German" lances for sale on the net. My question is are these truely German Ulan issue or are they the Argentinian pattern that just happens to be made by Weyersberg Kirschbaum?

Does anyone have a decent of a WW1 German lance head?

One would think these "all steel" lances would bend when used, could the front portion be unscrewed and a new portion added or was the entire bent lance trown away to be recycled later.

Would such an item be regimentally marked?

Enjoy the scans and I look forward to some answers to questions I'n had for some time.

Cheers,

Greg
    Last edited by sabertasche; 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM.

always to a spell check!

sorry for the typos and missing words

2nd scan
    Last edited by sabertasche; 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Both the lances posted are the export pattern, probably Argentine. The German issue lance is very similar construction but has a simple four sided spike point that appears to be welded into the shaft and the butt is integral to the shaft. The export models have a pointed butt fitted into the shaft. The German model also has a different type of grip.

The German issue lance, like all their imperial weapons, may have unit marks and may not, mine bears only a weapon number "108". I will try to post some photos if that will help.

Comment

Excellant, pics would be great!

Greg

Comment

They came with brass fittings and later steel fittings during the war. Mine is dated 1910 and is also marked to an Ulan regiment.

Chip

Comment

I had one that was maker marked and dated 1898. It was was virtually smooth through the entire length. It was so long compared to my compact car that I had to tie it outside to the door handles (back when cars had handles you could tie things to) and I drove through town with getting some very odd looks. At the time the most intriguing thing to me was that it had been sent home from Europe by a soldier who simply tied an address tag on it and put it in the mail. And it made it all the way to New York state and was delivered!

Comment

Verkuilen,

My lance was found here in a garage still in the original wooden shipping crate that it was sent back from Germany in. The neat thing was that the box contained four lances, two with brass grip fittings and two with steel grip fittings. The crate had not been opened since it was sealed in 1918!

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X